Chapter 7 and expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 and expenses

If you are under the median for your state are you automatically eligible for chapter 7 without them looking to see how much your income exceeds your expenses? This is very confusing as i am hearing many different things. Some say that since im under median i still fill out i and j forms but this =- 100.00 doesnt come into play?????????? Does it only come into play if over median??
    pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
    filed ch7 6-12
    341 7-25
    Discharged and closed 9-24

The I & J schedules will still be applied, as well as the $100. This is to prevent people that have little to no expenses from abusing the system. Example: 25 year old is still living at home with no rent, utilities, or food bills. He/she maxes out all the credit cards and then plans to file. They have a good paying job but scrounging off Mom and Dad. The laws are set up to stop someone from abusing the system.

If you're over the median a whole new set of computations come into play. You may or may not be qualified for a Ch 7, based on how much disposable income you have left. Disposable income is the key to determining abuse, so the forms are needed.

It's too much to write here but if you do a google search for computing the means test you'll find a ton of sites that explain it in easy to understand terms.
    Last edited by jp2861; 11-02-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I was confused about this as well, but have been told by various lawyers and other experts that you have to fill out all the schedules no matter what- including I and J.

Comment

On the Means Test,...........

You'd complete Form B22A. Once you get to Lines 13 and 14, your actual earned income is compared to the Median. If you're below the Median, on Line 15, you'd check the box for "Presumption Does Not Arise" and the Means Test is complete.

From there, the Court would move to a comparison of Schedule I, actual earned income, to Schedule J, actual living expenses. If I vs J shows +$100 or more per month, you could be forced to convert to a Ch 13.

We've not had anyone report that that's happened. But theoretically it can.

Generally speaking, good attnys and saavy Pro Se filers know or learn what's accepted in their Districts. They submit BK Petitions that show slightly positive to a bit negative on a monthly basis.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

My annual income is 49k which is under the median for family of 4 in pa. below are what i see as my expenses currently, some are guesstimates. Do they look reasonable and have i missed anything? it leaves me with about 240 extra. Could that push me 13 then??

mortgage 810
          life ins 93.9
          home eq ln 200
          food 400
          car ins 150
          cable/intern 117
          bus 60
          student loan 132
          heatring 150
          pawc 40
          electric 75
          vz 25
          vzw 75
          sewage 50
          apparrel 150
          gasoline 250
          car upkeep 80
          lunch money 76
          home maint 100
          pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
          filed ch7 6-12
          341 7-25
          Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

Off the top -

healthcare - premiums, employee costs, drugs (legal) copays
            daycare
            food for a family 4 is only $400 ?????
            taxes and insurance included in mortgage escrow ?
            It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

Check the IRS national/local standards as well to get some idea of what you can use.
              Filed 07/07, $120k unsecured debt
              Plan: $400 (includes cram down) 60 months
              Brilliant attorney, decent trustee, awesome plan

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X