top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atty's get mad for free consultations when they know you can't afford to actually hi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atty's get mad for free consultations when they know you can't afford to actually hi?

Please Delete This Username/Profile
    Last edited by LilStevens; 11-19-2007, 01:59 AM.

You're going for a consultation so how you're going to pay may not come up. If you are asked about how you'll pay, just tell them it is not a problem. You're under no obligation to hire them and they're not going to hound you about coming in and "signing up" as their client. The consult is to give you a better of idea of what Chapter you'll need to file and what to expect overall. Of course, you'll receive information regarding their fees.
    Bankruptcy History:
    Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
    Discharged - 02/16/2006
    Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Maybe you're hoping a family member or friend will pay the fee when you're doing the consultations.

Maybe you're hoping the attorney will put you on a long term payment plan. Ya right.

Looks like you're doing a great job getting through all your issues so far. Good work !!
      It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

Comment

You sound like you're your own worst enemy. I've read some of your other posts and you continue to post reasons of how your screwed. Start finding reasons why you're NOT screwed and you'll be better off. If all you have is SSI then file the BK on your own. There's plenty of people here that may help you, but you need to get a grip first.

Comment

SSI cannot be garnished so why even file if you have no assets? (Or do you have a house/car???) Aren't you essentially judgement proof right now without those things? Why are you filing I guess is my question.
            11/14/07 -filed C7 12/04/07 -case pulled for random audit.12/18/07 -341 held: Asset case due to engagement ring & tax return.02/19/08 - US trustee files motion to extend. 04/02/08- changed back to NO ASSET! I get my ring back and get to keep my tax return! :clapping: 04/28/08 -DISCHARGED!!! :yahoo::yahoo: 05/07/08 - CLOSED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DivorceRuinedMe View Post
              SSI cannot be garnished so why even file if you have no assets? (Or do you have a house/car???) Aren't you essentially judgement proof right now without those things? Why are you filing I guess is my question.
              Why not? If someone in that situation doesn't file it means they can't keep their money safely in a checking account, will have to deal with collections people as long as the debt isn't taken care of and a lifetime of a dorked up credit status.

One reason for filing is to get ones life back in order. The only way to get squared away is file and start the rebuilding process.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LilStevens View Post
                  Thanks BassBoy and ssdsco. It seems the Atty Consult probably won't tell me what I haven't already discovered by obsessive research here and elsewhere (but mostly here).

I just don't get if the problem is money and debt to begin with, how can a mentally disabled person living on SSI of $699/mo for seven years, possibly consider paying any legal fees? In the end aren't I just SOL because without an Atty, I'm probably going to get dismissed?

Thanks
                  Don't take my word for it, but it it's probably not unheard of that an attorney would set-up payment arrangements or other agreement. Unfortunately, the downside is you're case may not be filed until you've paid the attorney in full and with your SSI, you may not be able to pay the fee as soon as you would like. On the other hand, you could have your creditors talking to the attorney (if you gave him something already as a retainer) instead of you. Ya know, it doesn't hurt to make a few phone calls and ask if there is a way to get this done with as little financial strain on you as possible. I would almost bet that a BK attorney has been asked about this and it's not like he/she would think you're absolutely nuts for calling and asking.
                  Bankruptcy History:
                  Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
                  Discharged - 02/16/2006
                  Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Comment

Try to stop be so damned defensive. Its not good for you. Deal with the cards you are dealt and drive on. Dont expect all others or the "system" to feel your pain, because they and it do NOT!

If you focus on the advice instead of the "off" banter, you can certainly file prose using this forum for some guidence. It realy is NOT rocket science.

Lighten up!! Good luck

Comment

Don't feel bad for using free consultations, they are playing a "numbers game". They know that a percentage of people are going to walk in the door and take some of their valuable time and never pay a dime, but you may walk out thinking how nice, sincere, respectful and helpful they were and refer several people to them in the next few years. You may not personally give them any compensation for their time or knowledge, but they have been around the block enough times to know how many consultations result in clients, how many become referrals, and how many are useless. Even if they smell a useless one, they learn to look at it as it's one less useless one they have to do before the one that on average becomes a client.

GATHER information. This is a dog eat dog world, and with a little bit of determination, a TON of confidence, and a dash of luck, your world will continue to improve.
                        CH 7 File Date 11/09/2007
                        Discharged 2/22/2008
                        Closed 2/25/2008

Comment

We have considerably more than $700/month and it still will have taken me almost a full year to pay my attorney in full. We retained him in January with about a 10% payment and I've been paying what I could since then. As soon as I retained him, I began sending the collectors and creditors to him and he deals with them. It's been awfully nice.

Also, there must be some attorneys who need to do pro bono work. Sounds like you are a good case for that.

Comment

Lots of attnys will take payments. BUT they won't file your BK until you've paid in full.

Going to Consult even tho you intend to file Pro Se isn't much different than Consulting around and then picking one attny to represent you.

Part of going to Consults is to gain information.

Part of Consulting is to get each attny's prospective on your particular case.

Part of Consulting around is to "Meet and Greet" so you can find someone you're comfortable working with.

We chatted with nearly a dozen attnys before we picked one. That means we "wasted" 11 other attnys' time.

Be honest and up front about your financial situation to gain information. Just don't tell them you think you're probably gonna file Pro Se.

Just cause you're on limited income doesn't mean you don't have other ways to pay their fees. As others have commented, many times, family members step up and help out BK Filers to pay attny's and filing fees. For all the attnys will know, generous Aunt Bessie, Mom and Dad, or Grandpa is gonna help you out.
                            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                            Discharged - 12/2006
                            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X