341 A Breeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 A Breeze

341 hearing this morning. I haven't been nervous about it at all, until I parked my car and started walking to the building.

Met my lawyer there. She is so cool. Everything very matter of fact, totally organized. Joked around about stuff. (I received cash advance checks from one of the CC companies in my BK yesterday! Merry Christmas?) I ordered a replacement SS card 6 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived, so she checked out my W-2. Was ticked that USAA called me after filing about my December MC payment (Me: they didn't know I'd filed. Lawyer: they should have!) She thought the "Financial Peace University" on the Dave Ramsey course certificate was very funny. She didn't know who he was -- said she looked it up on the state list to make sure it was legit. When I told her about the course she was impressed and said she'd recommend it to future clients.

About 12 cases in the hearing room. Lawyer gasped when she saw the trustee -- "my she's casual today!" She was wearing a bright multicolored christmassy sweater, no business suit. She took the cases that had complete paperwork first, and all were easy, easy. Lawyer said the trustee was going very fast & must want to get to lunch. I got the same questions as everyone else. (Did you fill out the questionnaire yourself? do you understand this and that, are there any changes, did you list all your assets and creditors?) W-2 was fine for SS confirmation.

It took probably less than 2 minutes.

New member of the 60 day club! Lawyer thinks it would be very, very unlikely for anything to come up.

Nice to have this over before the holidays!
    Last edited by boinga; 12-20-2007, 04:55 AM.
    10/25/2007 Aha! moment
    11/19/2007 Filed Ch.7
    12/19/2007 341 hearing
    02/17/2008 Deadline for objections! tick tick tick ...

Just be aware that the 341 is usually fairly easy. It is generally a fairly casual affair as the meeting rooms can change, ours for Ft. Lauderdale had a paper sign on it. Discovery and complications, IF they exist, come in the following weeks.

Also schedules and deadlines can easily be extended at any time. Our deadline for filing objections was actually extended 180 days beyond our discharge! All that being said, 95% of all xcases are declared no asset so hopefully you are on the way!
    Last edited by robivi3; 12-20-2007, 05:07 AM.
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

p.s. checking out the other lawyers in the room, I was glad I found the one I did (totally by chance, through ARAG).

Something about them just shouted "shyster!" They reminded me of the ones you see advertising on TV late at night. Yikes. One had completely missed his early morning session and had 3 clients waiting. One was substituting for someone else in his office at the last minute and clearly wasn't informed about the case.

I will probably use my lawyer in the future for wills, etc. She's awesome. And very calm, conservative, professional looking -- just the kind of person you want sitting next to you when you're in front of the trustee not wanting to seem like a total deadbeat LOL.
      10/25/2007 Aha! moment
      11/19/2007 Filed Ch.7
      12/19/2007 341 hearing

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
        Our deadline for filing objections was actually extended 180 days beyond our discharge!
        Ouch! What a pain. Why did that happen?

Mine is no asset, which is why my lawyer thinks there's little chance of anything coming up. It would have to be an objection about possible fraud, and there really isn't anything to raise a red flag there.

So, yes, hopefully it will be smooth sailing for the next 60 days.
        10/25/2007 Aha! moment
        11/19/2007 Filed Ch.7
        12/19/2007 341 hearing

Comment

CONGRATS! The only asset we have is the house - which we are walking away from. The cars are all within the state allowance for equity (my car may be borderline depending on who values it). We have no savings, no investment accounts, and all our personal assets, if liquidated would fall within our exemption allowance. When we file, we will be below the median income for the means test, and negative when I fill out schedules J&I. I'm hoping we won't have a problem either!

Comment

Originally posted by boinga View Post
            I will probably use my lawyer in the future for wills, etc. She's awesome. And very calm, conservative, professional looking -- just the kind of person you want sitting next to you when you're in front of the trustee not wanting to seem like a total deadbeat LOL.
            Boinga, you REALLY lucked out. I don't know if you've read any of my other posts, but I've ben doing tons of research to file pro se, and what you saw in person is what I saw in the paperwork: very neat, comprehensive, orderly, complete vs. sloppy, pieces missing, deadlines passed, etc.

Every day that goes by I get a little more grateful that I was forced (by lack of $$$) to go pro se. I wouldn't change that now for anything. Good to know your 341 went well!!!
            Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Ouch! What a pain. Why did that happen?
              Add me to the list. That scares the hell out of me. Robivi, if you don't mind, could you share the circumstances? Thanks!
              Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

341 hearing this morning. I haven't been nervous about it at all, until I parked my car and started walking to the building.

Met my lawyer there. She is so cool. Everything very matter of fact, totally organized. Joked around about stuff. (I received cash advance checks from one of the CC companies in my BK yesterday! Merry Christmas?) I ordered a replacement SS card 6 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived, so she checked out my W-2. Was ticked that USAA called me after filing about my December MC payment (Me: they didn't know I'd filed. Lawyer: they should have!) She thought the "Financial Peace University" on the Dave Ramsey course certificate was very funny. She didn't know who he was -- said she looked it up on the state list to make sure it was legit. When I told her about the course she was impressed and said she'd recommend it to future clients.

About 12 cases in the hearing room. Lawyer gasped when she saw the trustee -- "my she's casual today!" She was wearing a bright multicolored christmassy sweater, no business suit. She took the cases that had complete paperwork first, and all were easy, easy. Lawyer said the trustee was going very fast & must want to get to lunch. I got the same questions as everyone else. (Did you fill out the questionnaire yourself? do you understand this and that, are there any changes, did you list all your assets and creditors?) W-2 was fine for SS confirmation.

It took probably less than 2 minutes.

New member of the 60 day club! Lawyer thinks it would be very, very unlikely for anything to come up.

Nice to have this over before the holidays!

USAA called me too, as did the mortgage company. I'm sad, I may never get to use USAA ever again after this. They aren't going to renew my ins policies.
                Filed November 2 2007
                341 Meeting January 4 2008
                DISCHARGED March 11 2008

Comment

Originally posted by BKcrazy View Post
                  I'm sad, I may never get to use USAA ever again after this. They aren't going to renew my ins policies.
                  Really?? Did they say it was because of the BK? You had a credit card with them that was part of your BK I take it?

What kind of insurance policies do you have with them? I have auto and renters.
                  10/25/2007 Aha! moment
                  11/19/2007 Filed Ch.7
                  12/19/2007 341 hearing

Comment

USAA after bankruptcy

This is interesting....

I'm going to start a new thread on this topic.
                    10/25/2007 Aha! moment
                    11/19/2007 Filed Ch.7
                    12/19/2007 341 hearing

Comment

I had a Gold MC with them, car loan, car and home ins, and a checking and savings with them. I was told I may never have any of their products again. And yes, it's because of the BK. Then when I called again, I was told to try in about 12 months. They said it may be possible, but no promises. Either way, they are too expensive for car ins in FL, so I may wait that out for some time anyway. I have $17.99 in checking, and $10.00 in savings. I may see if I can leave those open, if for no other reason than to make them keep sending me statements. Ok, and a little spite.
                      Filed November 2 2007
                      341 Meeting January 4 2008
                      DISCHARGED March 11 2008

Comment

Welcome to the 60 day club! I wish our's had been easy like everyone else's. Though, it certainly could have been much worse! I also wish I'd have found a good attorney like your's. Mine is becoming a nightmare, not returning my calls.

Anyway, congrats, and let's hope it ends well for all of us now in the 60 day club!
                        <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                        FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BKcrazy View Post
                          I had a Gold MC with them, car loan, car and home ins, and a checking and savings with them. I was told I may never have any of their products again. And yes, it's because of the BK.
                          I can't believe that's legal. I had checking with them also. Emptied my checking and moved it before filing. I just checked my USAA account online, and they have indeed blocked my access. Just moved my car ins to GEICO and renters to AIG -- I'm not going to wait for them to give me the snub. Cost: almost identical. USAA has started getting a bad rap I noticed, when I started checking around.
                          10/25/2007 Aha! moment
                          11/19/2007 Filed Ch.7
                          12/19/2007 341 hearing

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X