Will this be disposable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this be disposable?

I need to wait a few months before I can file.

a couple of months ago, I paid minimum payments to some of my cc (totally about $1600), thinking that it will reduce the phone calls from them.

Now I am worried that when I file, that money would be a preferantial payment or Trustee sees that as disposable.

I paid about $1600 in total. can trustee divide this amonut to 6 and tell me that I would have $266 disposable and push me to chapter 13?

Should I wait another month to get this out of way?
    I am NOT an attorney, anything I say here is not a legal advice.

Based on the information you provided, I don't think you'll have a problem.

We had preferential payments totaling about $5000 in the 90 days before filing and that did not affect the Ch. 7 we filed. The trustee went after the $5000 and paid back creditors after he took his cut. I doubt the trustee will look at it as disposable.

My guess, no big deal. Ask your attorney to be sure.

Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
    Discharged - 2/29/08
    Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
    Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

You said these were "minimum payments". If that's the case, and you didn't pay them anything over the minimum amount due, I don't believe they can be considered preferential.
      You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

They will be preferential if the total paid was over $600 to any single unsecured creditor within 90 days of filing. One year if it is an 'insider' (family, close friend, etc).

Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
        Discharged - 2/29/08
        Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
        Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

You know that money is gone now. If trustee decides to get it back and split it again, I dont care let him do it. BUT..... will they say ok, if you did not pay them you would have have $266 disposable per month? Will such a thing push me to 13? a money that I dont have and was paid to CC???
          I am NOT an attorney, anything I say here is not a legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ejny65 View Post
            You know that money is gone now. If trustee decides to get it back and split it again, I dont care let him do it. BUT..... will they say ok, if you did not pay them you would have have $266 disposable per month? Will such a thing push me to 13? a money that I dont have and was paid to CC???
            No, I don't think so EJ, because all that matters is your bottom line expenses and income for the past 6 months, averaged out.

Ask your attorney to be sure. (Add this to your list of questions for your attorney.)
            <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
            FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoma51 View Post
              They will be preferential if the total paid was over $600 to any single unsecured creditor within 90 days of filing. One year if it is an 'insider' (family, close friend, etc).
              Sorry if I'm conducting a slight thread-jack here...

How does insider payments work? For example, I pay rent to my parents every month to live in a home they own for rental income. How would this be any different than paying some non-relative the rent money? In any case, I'm still out $x per month.
              Chapter 7 - Coming Spring 2008!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X