Is this a violation of stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a violation of stay?

I have posted a couple of times about 1 particular creditor who has been a real problem for me. Well what do I get in the mail today, but a statement from them saying that my account is past due and that I need to remit payment in full within 10 days to avoid late fees. This is the first I have heard anything from them since long before I filed. They cant say that they didnt know I filed, because they have filed a proof of claim (2 duplicate proof of claim).

Anyway, is this considered a violation of stay and am I within my rights to file suit against them for it?
    12.10.2007 Filed CH 7
    01.14.2008 341 Meeting
    03.14.2008 No Objections filed :yahoo: :clapping:
    03.27.2008 Discharge of Debtor :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Yes, that would be a violation of the automatic stay since the letter included a demand for payment, so you could conceivably seek sanctions against them in BK court for the violation.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Yes, that would be a violation of the automatic stay since the letter included a demand for payment, so you could conceivably seek sanctions against them in BK court for the violation.
      Is a sanction more or less a slap on the wrist? Or do I stand to collect any damages from them?
      12.10.2007 Filed CH 7
      01.14.2008 341 Meeting
      03.14.2008 No Objections filed :yahoo: :clapping:
      03.27.2008 Discharge of Debtor :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

Wow! Good info, BigBoy.
        Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X