Credit Card question and Chapter 7 BK..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card question and Chapter 7 BK..

Hey guys I had questions about Credit Cards and BK.. Well I went to lawyer yesterday and got some info about filing for BK.. Well he told me not to use my credit cards for big purchases etc or Cash advances and the last time I used it for a cash advance or any purchases was 6 months ago.. He told me that its would be okay to use it for gas and food/groceries but nothing to serious. I used my credit card for the first time yesterday for gas. My question is would that be okay? And has anyone used there credit cards for gas or food and it didn't jepordized the ch. 7 bk process? Im still current on all credit card payments and plan to stop making payments on them. Any info will help out greatly Thanks..
    Discharged: 12/23/2008

Just a quick question: have you met with 3 or 4 attorneys? You can get a sense of how consistent your attorney's answer is by meeting with other attorneys.
    The attorneys I consulted with told me to stop using the cards completely. In fact, one insisted that we not file until 90 days after I last used the cards.
    Other people with hopefully weigh in soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillymanhere View Post
      Just a quick question: have you met with 3 or 4 attorneys? You can get a sense of how consistent your attorney's answer is by meeting with other attorneys.
      The attorneys I consulted with told me to stop using the cards completely. In fact, one insisted that we not file until 90 days after I last used the cards.
      Other people with hopefully weigh in soon.
      nope i just meet with one because it was referred by a friend that is going through BK... I used one of my cards yesterday for gas but the other 3 hasn't been used for anything.. I was just curious because low on cash for gas and food.. but i dont want to jepordize the BK..
      Discharged: 12/23/2008

Comment

We were told to stop paying and quit using by 2 different attorneys. If you are serious about BK, then my advice is stop using cc. I think you will find after you stop paying cc, purchases with cash for such things as gas and groceries will be easier. It's a tough habit to break, and it means you need to budget, make list of things you need and stick to that list.

If you stop paying will this give you the money you need for food, gas...? I found out that once we did not pay cc, we had cash for those things. Now we are into going on 4 months of not paying, in the beginning it was hard to make ends meet. Now even though there isn't a ton of money, we can buy the things we really need and pay our utilities with cash and it feels awesome!

I also think maybe you should seek a free consult with another attorney. Just to see if you get the same advice. It never hurts to look around and most will consult for free.

Good luck!
        Last edited by justplaintired; 04-16-2008, 06:49 PM.
        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

As long as you haven't filed yet you should be fine. Once you file DO NOT USE those cards, besides the creditors find out pretty quickly once you file and than your cut off! When I was going through debt consolidation before I decided the BK route, I went on a small shopping spree (hee hee: I bought like stupid stuff: video games, music cds - gas - food, you know) (May 06). I finally wisened up and went down the BK route and ended up filing July 06. No issues.

Best of Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X