top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you lose bank accounts when you file Ch 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From reading your original post, I thought you were saying to keep a small balance on the closed account, because they didn't make sense to me.

Originally posted by Christinajp View Post
    Have a small balance, under $100 on the day that everything gets filed..he even said to have my hubbys mom take my husband off as co-owner on that account that is hers

Comment

oh no sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Closing checking accounts

I have worked for a bank for the past 10 years. I have never heard of any checking account being closed due to bankruptcy, unless the account had a negative balance. Once the negative balance gets "charged off" the account will get reported to chex systems. This is what will prevent someone from opening a checking account somewhere. I do know that at my bank, if a customer has been reported to chex systems, they can still open a savings account. There has also been instances where we will open a checking account for someone listed on chex systems, and then monitor the account closely for a time period.

Comment

from my experience... as my chapt 7 is now discharged, on a hearing day, i had to show my bank statement to show that i only got 2k and that's it. im still using my bank acct. with debit card... i even made deposits to my acct hoping to keep up the relation with the bank for long term.
          i had visa credit cards with them, and was using it to build credit. but later the bank closed visa accounts only due to bankruptcy history. i was disappointed but it's the law they gotta go with, i guess.

i hope that what i own in my bank, and savings acct i opened won't be affected in a near future b/c of bk.
          what do you think?

Comment

so you can keep using your debit card if you were not in default correct?

Comment

The only way you couldn't use your debit card would be if you are negative in your account.

Originally posted by halloweendmb1 View Post
              so you can keep using your debit card if you were not in default correct?

Comment

I have 2 checking accounts with a credit union, a debit card, credit card and car loan with same credit union. When we filed we did not list any of the accounts to discharge them. The credit union found out we filed 7 and cross collateralized the car loan and credit card but did nothing to the checking accounts and debit card.

DB
                Chapter 7 filed 3/31/08
                341 5/12/08
                Last day for objection 7/11/08
                AUTOMATIC ORDER DISCHARGING DEBTOR 7/15/08 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

This is confusing me a little.

I have a checking account at Citizens where I also have a home equity loan. I currently have my bank account set up to automatically make the HE loan automatically for more than the minimum, then adjust it down as payment goes down. I plan on reaffirming them when i file.

Most of my pay goes into that account as I pay most of my bills out of there and also have a moneymarket account where i have about 250 a month automatically deposited each pay from my employer.

I do not have negative balances at my bank.

Am I hearing correctly that the bank may take everything that i have in there because i filed even though i am not currently in default with them??
                  pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
                  filed ch7 6-12
                  341 7-25
                  Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X