Large deposit after filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large deposit after filing

I was wondering about a large deposit in our bank account after we filed. My parents are helping us move and want to give us 3K toward all the costs. I made a budget and that is how much we will spend over the course of 1 week on moving costs. I can account for it all with receipts if that helps. I just wondered if the trustee would try to take that money if she found out it was transfered into our account, even after we filed.

Oh and I can't bring myself to tell my parents we filed.
    Last edited by MomIcantFindmy; 05-18-2008, 03:37 PM.
    Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
    DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
    Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
    Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I do understand the not telling your parents part we are in the same boat. My sis wants to use my ebay acct to sell a older car she has and I can't tell her why I can't do it, but I can't have that kind of money going threw any of our accts. I have had this ebay acct for years and it's been sitting there doing nothing for well over 7-8 months and now she ask me! I could have made probably $500 on this sale, more then I ever made on ebay at one time. So I do understand.

Can you ask your attorney what to do? I would definitely find out before you do anything. If nothing else tell your parents you closed your acct so they don't deposit any money in there. I am not expert, but anything questionable before your 341 seems like a good reason to be cautious. Ask the attorney, see what they say.

Good luck on your move and at your 341!
    Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Mom, I think waiting until after your 341 -- at least -- would be prudent. The only other alternative I can think of would be to cash the check at the issuing bank, but that's a pretty hefty check to be cashing.

It's not that receiving it is illegal, by any means; you just don't want it to look like a jump in income and have to explain it all. I can't remember if you filed with an atty or not, but I would definitely get his advice on this, because what a trustee will question/take varies *significantly* with the area and state you live in. Good luck with your move!!!
      Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Thank you both. I think you confirmed what I was thinking. I will call the attorney and also let my folks know we are closing the account in preparation for the move (good idea).
        Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
        DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
        Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
        Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X