No announcement yet.

My attorney...should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd be better off in the future to modify how much is taken out. It does you no good to let the government hold onto such a large amount of your money interest free for a year. With inflation it means your losing money. Better to get the money up front and plan for its use in a budget. (Some of it probably should be put into a money market or similar account that earns a good return).
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
      You'd be better off in the future to modify how much is taken out. It does you no good to let the government hold onto such a large amount of your money interest free for a year. With inflation it means your losing money. Better to get the money up front and plan for its use in a budget. (Some of it probably should be put into a money market or similar account that earns a good return).
      Agreed, that is my plan (just not until after I file though).
      Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
      341 Meeting - 08/13/08
      DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
      CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

Ours was one of those cases in which the UST corrected the number on our means test by subtracting out our 2007 tax refund. It really doesn't seem fair since the refund was received after we filed, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Comment

We changed our withholdings years ago just for this reason.

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
          It does you no good to let the government hold onto such a large amount of your money interest free for a year. With inflation it means your losing money. Better to get the money up front and plan for its use in a budget. (Some of it probably should be put into a money market or similar account that earns a good return).

Comment

I think you made the right decision to switch attorneys.
            If you feel she's too inexperienced, for your comfort level, then switch. Also, in my opinion, if you are between a 7 and a 13 you want an attorney who will fight for you and maybe knows the "tricks" to get you into the 7.
            <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
            FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Laurannm, kudos to you for being totally involved in your bk! Nobody cares more about your bk more than YOU! I too had to fight with lawyer's legal assistant because he kept wanting to put down my avg paycheck withholding (which was lower because I wanted to get more money each check) as the monthly payment for tax. He kept saying he just HAD to put that value down on Schedule I because that was the average the past six months. I kept saying no no no, 6 months is a must for means testing, but Schedule I specifically says "average OR projected monthly income". The bell finally rung in his head. Way to stick to your guns!
              May 2008: Filed Chapter 13
              Jan 2010: Plan Amended and Confirmed! finally plan funds = total funds due!
              Jul 2013: 5 years done! Trustee set to discharge! Woo hoooo!

Comment

Thanks

A little scary when average people like us sometimes know a little bit more on how BK works then the alleged "experts"
                Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
                341 Meeting - 08/13/08
                DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
                CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X