Last night in House before Moving to Rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night in House before Moving to Rental

The past few weeks, we have been painting, slowly moving things over to our lease to own (projected purchase ) home. Tonight is our last official night in our one time "dream house", before the movers arrive tomorrow morning.

I am having mixed emotions. The rental house looks more like ours now that we have some of our things in it. But as I am looking around our home we are leaving, it makes me sad. This house was the first house my husband and I purchased 3 years ago. We put A LOT of sweat equity into it, that seems pointless now. This was the house we brought our son home to. I'm sure I am just having a little pity party, but it is more difficult than I thought it would be to leave. I knew we would be leaving, but now that it is actually happening, it is emotional. It makes me second guess whether we are making the right decision.

Just looking to vent, plus see what others felt surrending their home, how they feel now, etc.

Thanks!!
    Filed 5/22/08 341 Meeting 6/19/08 (No Asset) Last Day for Objections 8/19/08 Discharged 8/22/08 Case Closed 8/25/08
    Credit Score 4/28/08--660 6/10/08--528 Credit Score 8/30/08--625

I totally understand why you would feel this way. I think it's absolutely normal to second guess like you are, when the actual physical move is happening for real NOW. The emotions are part of the process.

Just remind yourself that you were strong to make the decision you made, and that you know it's the right thing. I'm sure the new home that you are moving to is going to have just as much love, warmth and happiness in it, and you are moving toward a better life.
    "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
    6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
    8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
    9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

Hey you have ever right to feel low, it's ok. But like frogge said you can now start moving forward. You'll have your own again someday when the times right and you'll have learned some valuable lessons along the way. Besides you know what, what makes a house a home is coming with you, your family!

Good luck!
      Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Csrhjr31, I had to leave a home as well (foreclosure) and it was horribly difficult, for all the same reasons you suggest (lots and lots of sweat put into it, first house, memories) but once I was out, it was okay. It really was. Even when I totally did not expect it to be. It was kinda like, what's gone is gone, glad to be out from under it. I think I was so relieved at no longer waiting for the sky to fall -- it just had -- that my relief quickly overshadowed any passing sorrow I might otherwise have kept. Also, I was incredibly grateful to have somewhere to go, and that added to my sense of well-being too: I often had occasion to wonder at what might have become of me if I had not had family to take me in.

Here's hoping it's the same for you, and your gratitude and relief -- maybe even excitement at getting a chance at a fresh start -- quickly drive away the clouds of the past. Best wishes to you in your new home!!!
        Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

I am packing right now...well taking a break to cool off..it's over 100 here! It's very sad. I had 2 children in this house...we built it ourselves...it has been the only home my kids have ever known. But, what I've come to realize that no house or "thing" is worth the stress that debt puts on one's shoulders. Your home is where your family is. As long as your together, your home. And a happy, stress free home is much better than one where tensions are high. I've not been able to really focus on my kids for so long...it just is not worth it. We found a great house that an older couple owner financed for us at an excellent rate and a house payment that is literally 1/4 of our current. We can afford this house, and the kids love it and are excited about moving! I feel like we are packing up to start a whole new life...a life where we live within our means!!!!lol

Comment

I wish all of you good luck in your new places. I look everyday at the house prices around here and wonder how I"ll ever afford to buy one. I"ve spent the last few months fixing up this old trailer with new floors and work in the bathrooms, work on the outside, fixing up some other things. It actually belongs to my parents, but they live in another state now. It still needs a lot of work. It kinda feels like home now since I've worked on it so long. I"m sure when the day comes I have to move it will be a sad day.

Good Luck to all of you and though I've not lost this little place yet, I can understand how you feel.
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I hope you are busy little bees today getting everything settled in your new place and getting that fantastic new start your family deserves and needs! We are going thru the same thing--our movers just came on Saturday, and I'll tell you this, when I went over to the old house afterwards to grab a couple of things, I was completely surprised by how GOOD I felt. There are still a few crappy steps to go thru (the whole f/c thing, blech) but, once the old place was emptied out, it didn't look all that great to me anymore. I kept focusing on things I DIDN'T like about it, and that really helped. My kids are so, so happy in this new place---they absolutely love it, and they say it out loud "mom, I love this house!" and I think, what old house? Who cares? Home is definitely where your family is--and you'll be able to create wonderful new memories starting right away in your new place. Take care.

Comment

We are in the middle of packing our stuff up too. It was our dream home too and I pictured spending a long time there. However, it became a burden to me. I started resenting the house because of all the stress the mortgage payments were causing me. I'm happy to be moving out but there are times when I get really sad. Like when I look at my daughter's room and all the work I put in to painting it and making it really nice. The room she will have in the rental is not as nice but I keep telling myself that it is not about a room but about the memories. I would rather her not have to see Mommy and Daddy stressed all the time.

Hang in there. It will get better. Focus on your new goal of saving up for a new dream house and sticking to a budget that will keep you from getting in this situation again. That's what I do.
                Filed: 7/17/08
                341 Meeting: 8/25/08
                Last Day of Objections: 10/24/08
                Discharged: 11/08

Comment

I've already given up two homes that I busted my behind for and thought we'd be there forever.. it made me sick to think about all the work and money and sweat... ! whatever. I'll tell you this though.. I love our current home and I hope to be there a while, but I'll give it up in a heartbeat if I have to, as long as my family is with me.

Home is not a dwelling, but a place in the heart. I made that up.
                  "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
                  6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
                  8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
                  9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

So we have been in our "projected purchase" home for about a week. I am not going to lie, it was DIFFICULT leaving our home. Although, I think with the stress of the move, I didn't get too emotional the day we left. We hired movers (the best invention ever) to move our furniture. We are slowly taking boxes over to unpack. Which is a plus, that we can move our things at our own pace, although I would like to have everything out in the next week.

Anyways, I was probably the most emotional when we went back the next day to get some boxes. I went through our baby's nursery and cried a lot. But as I went through other rooms, aside from the square footage, it didn't look so great being empty with nail holes, indents in the carpet where all the furniture had been placed, etc.

Now that we have been in this house for about a week, it is starting to feel like home. The first few nights were an adjustment, but I'm getting more comfy here. Although, this home doesn't have the huge square footage we left, or all the great upgrades, it is, however still a nice house. Probably what we should have originally bought, instead of living above what we need like with the last house.

I definitely feel more comfortable in the new neighborhood. As we go back to the old house, I feel like all of our neighbors are staring, which is probably my own paranoia, but I don't feel that here. It feels like a nice, new start.

I do like the excitement of being able to decorate a new home, and make it ours. We have a beautiful park down the street that my son enjoys. My son seems just as happy here, as he was at the other place, which was my biggest concern.

All in all, it really feels like a weight lifted off our shoulders. Even though, we still have the whole forclosure process to go through, I feel like this was a huge hurdle to get over. I believe someone said this already, but as the days go by, I don't think as much about the other house, which is a good thing.
                    Last edited by csrhjr31; 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM.
                    Filed 5/22/08 341 Meeting 6/19/08 (No Asset) Last Day for Objections 8/19/08 Discharged 8/22/08 Case Closed 8/25/08
                    Credit Score 4/28/08--660 6/10/08--528 Credit Score 8/30/08--625

Comment

Glad its working out
                      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

We've also been moving from one home to another over the past couple of weeks. I guess we're lucky, in that we own both...one we're giving up, the other we've chosen to keep (it has the cheaper payment and smaller payoff). But it's still bittersweet...the one we're giving up got all of our love and sweat these past 4 years. The one we moved to was our former rent house and was run rough shod these past 2 years by our last tenant...it's amazing the things they did to destroy this house. I don't miss the payments or the location of our old house, but I'm not loving that we're basically back to square one on remodeling our home. I think eventually this will work itself out, as we're able to repair and replace flooring and walls, but until then...well, I miss my old house in many ways. However, I recognize that this is just part of the fresh start, and there are so many positives to this house vs. the negatives...I think I'll feel much better about it all once we're able to transform it to a nice home again.
                        Filed BK (Ch. 7) 6/2/08
                        Discharged!! 9/24/08
                        Closed..the end! 10/1/08

Comment

Hi there csrhjr31,
                          I'm glad to hear you are adjusting to your "new home", it takes time....
                          This is your fresh start, so enjoy yourselves, enjoy your new neighbors and ejoy the new ammenities that surround you. You'll be fine

Best Wishes~~~
                          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X