Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Car purchase before filling

Hi,

I have to start by saying thank you to everyone who talks about their experiences as it has helped me greatly in the last couple of days trying to understand Chapter 7.

Our lawyer says that we are very close to $182 and he will let us know about it on Monday if we can file C. 7.

In the mean time I forgot to ask him about Car purchase. Currently we have 1 car that we are a little upside down but we would like to very much keep it. We have been sharing it with my husband, me driving him to work back and forth. However with gas prices rising and our daughter starting Kindergarten (no school bus available) we NEED a second car. Our scores are around 600 and we have 2000$ cash to put down. Our lawyer knows about our savings (3000$) and said it was no problem.

If we were to buy a used car now, when can we file earliest??? Would the Trustee think that it was abuse??? I also did the online means test and the second car would help us qualify for it.

Thank you for your help.

M

It's pretty standard to get your transportation needs taken care of prior to filing. I see nothing wrong with financing a reasonably priced car, filing and reaffirming that loan. Ask your lawyer about timing.

Comment

Definitly do it before filing. Trying to get a car after is a pain in the tush. Dragonnfly
      Filed Ch 7 - 04/08/2008 - Done
      341 continued 06/30/2008
      Last day for objections - 08/01/2008
      Discharged 08/13/2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X