Is this stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this stupid

I am going to close out my exsisting checking account and reopen another one up, BUT in the same bank. Reason being is because I paid all of my credit cards on line for years and they all have my account information stored online. Do you think its stupid to reopen within the same bank?

It's not *stupid*, but honestly, if you feel like you have reason to change checking accounts, go ahead and change banks too. This will prevent any later fees (from having creditors try to withdraw from your empty checking acct, for example) from being a problem for you. My guess is that if you're at the same bank, you remain liable -- and would then have those fees automatically withdrawn from your *valid* checking acct before you could draw the breath to protest. Banks are great at that.

Me, I'd go ahead and switch, but you may have some compelling reason (beyond having to type in new info ) to stay with the same bank that I did not, so you have to weigh what's best for you. Good luck!!!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

I was going to close that account and open up another. I wouldn't incur and additional fees if the other account is closed out right? Reason for me keeping it in the same bank is because the bank is really close to my house and they have great hours.

Comment

You could still possibly still incur charges.

I would also suggest another bank or CU.

Comment

I also suggest another bank, or even a CU. My best~~~
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I wonder if the bank will cancel your accounts anyway.

I was looking at staying with BOA myself but don't know if they will close the checking account. Their online interface and payment system is pretty good.
            My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
            posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Some banks and CUs close accounts upon notice of BK, some don't. Now, the OP mentioned having her CC accounts at this bank. Other members of the Board have had banks attack the checking/savings account for the CCs and in lajazz947's experience, the mortgage nailed his checking account. I would move it--but that is my opinion.
              Last edited by AngelinaCat; 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I have 15 years in banking. If the account closed, nothing can post. A report is run every morning for posts attempting to hit closed accounts. Make sure that it is not set to reopen if a credit comes through. They can also note the account to call you if any activity occurs. I recently switched banks because I didn't want employees to access my account information. The only problem I had was with a refund for a purchase I made with my debit card on the closed account. I had trouble convincing the company to cut me a check, even though I told them that that account was closed. I finally got a check....You don't have to change banks, but I would definitely close the account.
                Filed Chapt 7 05/01/08
                341 Meeting 06/10/08
                Discharged 08/13/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X