341 meeting set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 meeting set

Hi, My 341 is set for 9/12/08 and i'm nervous. I have a question, this last friday, 8/29/08, I went to pay my mortgage and they (citi mortgage) wouldnt accept payment! They say because we are in BK they cannot accept any payment. We are a family of 5 and want to keep the house and have stated so in the petition.
    My questions are: Is this the norm for mortgage companies to do this? Not take money which is owed to them? And now the payment is late, will they add-on a late charge? And most of all, will it affect my 341 meeting?

I'm stuck in the middle of a long weekend and cannot contact anyone. Ugh, this sucks.
    Thanks for any advice/answers.

???

How are you paying them? I pay my mortgage electronically. Would my mortgage company write me a refund check if I paid?

They can come take my house. My house is $20,000+ upside down. I'd love to have an excuse to move during my Ch. 7. They would do be a huge favor if they took my house back.

Comment

Weird because so many details of your post match me perfectly -- dates and everything! Except that I don't have a mortgage with Citibank.

One subtle but important detail is how they can't "take" a payment but they can accept one. If you had automatic withdrawls setup, they'll stop and refuse to do more. But, you can push a payment over to them using bill-pay from your bank for example. (That's what I did and it seems like it worked.)

For me I have until the 15th before the payment is late so I'll be watching for trouble very closely between now and then in case my payment gets returned or something.

I called the bankruptcy department of the mortgage company already and they explained the policy regarding payments to me so it should go fine.
      Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

Originally posted by Keebler View Post
        One subtle but important detail is how they can't "take" a payment but they can accept one. If you had automatic withdrawls setup, they'll stop and refuse to do more. But, you can push a payment over to them using bill-pay from your bank for example. (That's what I did and it seems like it worked.)
        That's what I do. I use Bank of America and pay using their on-line bill pay for all of my bills and have been doing so since around 2004. I never let any creditor do automatic withdrawals from my account. I pay them only after I see money in my account.

Ditech is my new mortgage holder (owned by GMAC). I also have a 2nd mortgage with them that I owe almost $15,000. They recently cut off all available credit on this because our house went down in value. I owe about $140,000 on my home. I think my house is worth at most $119,000. I could not sell it if my life depended on it. The builder who built my house built 3 others all within 1/4 mile from me and has not been able to sell a single one of them in nearly 3 years. I'd have to give this thing away for like $80-90k to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by kejac View Post
          Hi, My 341 is set for 9/12/08 and i'm nervous. I have a question, this last friday, 8/29/08, I went to pay my mortgage and they (citi mortgage) wouldnt accept payment! They say because we are in BK they cannot accept any payment. We are a family of 5 and want to keep the house and have stated so in the petition.
          My questions are: Is this the norm for mortgage companies to do this? Not take money which is owed to them? And now the payment is late, will they add-on a late charge? And most of all, will it affect my 341 meeting?

I'm stuck in the middle of a long weekend and cannot contact anyone. Ugh, this sucks.
          Thanks for any advice/answers.
          We have Citimortgage as well and are in the middle of a Ch 7. We use our bank's on-line bill pay and have had no problems paying Citi using this method.
          Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
          341 Meeting - 08/13/08
          DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
          CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

We went and paid ours in person - with credit union. If they aren't supposed to accept it, they sure did!
            Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
            341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
            Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
            Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

does anyone have countrywide?

why can't I just mail the payment to them?

Comment

Goodluck at your 341 - Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Morning, we usually pay our mortgage online, no auto withdrawl, just login hit the make a payment button print a receipt and we are good. Not so last friday, we couldnt even login to the site. So we called them, by WE I mean my wife, they told her that because we are in BK we were blocked from logging in and wouldnt accept payment and to contact their BK dept. By this time their BK dept was closed, ofcourse, so we will deal with it tomorrow, tuesday. TY keebler, your right on target and is what I want to hear.
                  Thanks jessegirl, I will. After reading the stickies I feel ok with the meeting and somewhat prepared It's the wait thats gonna kill me. We really have nothing of value, unless they want to take a kid or two I hear you can get a few dollars per overseas.
                  I'm glad I came accross this site it's been so informative, now maybe I wont have to use my works EAP.
                  TY everyone, I'll post back after dealing with citi's bk dept.

Comment

Good luck at the 341! I'm sure you'll blink and it'll be over.
                    FILED!: August 11, 2008 * Pre-Filing Fico Score - 643 * 341: October 8, 2008 * Last Day for Objections: December 7, 2008
                    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by halloweendmb1 View Post
                      does anyone have countrywide?

why can't I just mail the payment to them?
                      Why are people still "mailing" bills instead of using on-line bill pay? That is so dangerous to mail bills. You have your routing # and account #. Anyone can get that and suck all of the money out of your account. Plus sometimes the payments can be late in the mail and then they add fees and penalties to your loan from this.

I can't see any benefit to mailing a payment to a creditor vs. on-line bill pay. Not to mention all of the money wasted on stamps and more money wasted in gas to go drive to some place to buy the stamps.

It costs me nothing to use the on-line bill pay with Bank of America. And when I had a credit union years back, it was also free. There's no reason not to use on-line bill pay.

Comment

My mortgage company would not accept online payments in any form while I was in an active bankruptcy. Had to mail the payment every month, and to a different address to boot. Perhaps your company is the same way( mine started as WaMu, but was sold to WellsFargo- was the same way with both)
                        Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                        Plan approved- 7/11/05
                        Date discharged--10-12-2007
                        Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
                          Why are people still "mailing" bills instead of using on-line bill pay? That is so dangerous to mail bills. You have your routing # and account #. Anyone can get that and suck all of the money out of your account. Plus sometimes the payments can be late in the mail and then they add fees and penalties to your loan from this.

I can't see any benefit to mailing a payment to a creditor vs. on-line bill pay. Not to mention all of the money wasted on stamps and more money wasted in gas to go drive to some place to buy the stamps.

It costs me nothing to use the on-line bill pay with Bank of America. And when I had a credit union years back, it was also free. There's no reason not to use on-line bill pay.
                          All people may not have access yet to online bill pay. Hard as it is to believe, one of the local banks here just got online bill pay this month. Granted they are a small bank, with branches only in 3 of the towns in my county. But with that small town bank, you also get small, home town personal services also that could make it worth giving up the convenience of online bill payments.
                          Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                          Plan approved- 7/11/05
                          Date discharged--10-12-2007
                          Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
                            My mortgage company would not accept online payments in any form while I was in an active bankruptcy. Had to mail the payment every month, and to a different address to boot. Perhaps your company is the same way( mine started as WaMu, but was sold to WellsFargo- was the same way with both)
                            How do they "not accept" them? If I made a payment with Bank of America and click the "submit" button, it would never come back with an error saying, "payment not allowed".

So if you did an on-line bill pay, would they simply write you a check back for the amount that you paid?

I'm wondering if I should go bankrupt on my house and not re-affirm it since it's upside down and I live so far in the boonies. The problem is that we paid $120,000 for this house. The place where we came from, homes were all $400,000. If we went bankrupt on the mortgage, we would not be able to buy another house again could be? We're paying $821/mo. on the first mortgage and $110/mo. on the 2nd mortgage. Where can we get cheaper payments than this on a brand spanking new house?

I was on Youtube last night seeing all of the thousands for foreclosures in California. The problem is that all of those houses are selling for like 3 to 4x what I paid for mine, even as a foreclosure! Where are all of the like-new homes for $120,000?

Comment

Originally posted by arkienurse View Post
                              All people may not have access yet to online bill pay. Hard as it is to believe, one of the local banks here just got online bill pay this month. Granted they are a small bank, with branches only in 3 of the towns in my county. But with that small town bank, you also get small, home town personal services also that could make it worth giving up the convenience of online bill payments.
                              What personal services do you need? I never need to speak to anybody from the bank. I have electronic deposit and I pay my bills electronically. There's nothing complicated about it. I see no reason not to use Bank of America. They are everywhere making it convenient to get money out via ATM in every state. There's no way I would ever want to do business with some small bank. If I were to pick some small bank, it would be such a hassle for me. Been there, done that. Never again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X