Last year's tax return..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year's tax return..

Hello all. I am going to be filing pro se on November 3, 2008, here in Colorado.
    (((THANK YOU TO THE OWNER OF THIS FORUM, THIS FORUM IS A LIFE-SAVER, THANKS AGAIN..)))I do have one question though. To give you a little background about myself. I have been out of work for more than a year. I was desperately looking for work and had numerous job interviews, but nothing was offered, no job offers at all.. I have $14,000 in debt, not including student loans. I stopped using all of my credit cards around Mid-June, to July 1, I didn't go over my credit limit, left alittle bit of available credit there. I stopped paying the minimum payments on all these cards this month, was current until this month. IT IS NOW PAY THEM OR BE HOMELESS.
    I wanted to pay off these damn cards like I did 2 1/2 years ago, when I was completely out of credit card debt, but too have small to no income and living off these sharks has been hard. Most of my credit limits are small around 500 to 4300, but numerous cards.
    Anyway, to get to the point, I know that the prior years tax returns have to be filed, however I didn't file a 2007 tax return, because my ONLY income, aside of the credit cards was a $534 gambling winning and $250 in house sitting someone else's home. I don't owe any taxes at all.

I am currently on foodstamps and the State of Colorado Aid to the Needy Disabled program for people who are disabled, I am awaiting approval or denying of my SSI claim. I HAVE ONLY $529.00 LEFT TO MY NAME, THIS MONEY THOUGH IS FROM THE STATE DISABILITY PAYMENT AND IS EXEMPT IN COLORADO...
    MY QUESTION is should I file my 2007 taxes or should I send (what I have been reading on other posts for people who didn't file taxes, A STATEMENT FROM THE IRS THAT I DIDN'T FILE FOR THE YEAR 2007 AND THE REASON WHY.
    Any help that you can provide on this will be helpful????

Melissa

Melissa, according to federal bk law, you MUST file the most recent year's tax return with your bk -- as far as I know, there's no getting around it, even if you have what seems like a very valid reason for not filing.

To be honest, it should be very easy. I had no income, like yourself, and used the Tax Freedom Project program with TurboTax (http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom) to file my taxes online, electronically, for free. It is not open to everybody, only people who make less than a certain $ amount. Since it walks you through your income and everything by way of simple questions, it should not be difficult at all for you to file for 2007 even though all you had was disability income. You can still file a return.

If you do your taxes this way, you file electronically, and you keep a copy of the PDF that TurboTax generates for you, you can simply print out a copy whenever you need one, and file bk as soon as you'd like -- no waiting on the IRS.

Personally, I used TurboTax for years before I became poor, and now I just love 'em even more. You're lucky it's still available to you for 2007, if it's something you'd be interested in doing, because it's the best tax program I ever used, paid or unpaid. I'd be surprised if, once you have all your records in hand, it took you more than two hours total to do everything required and file electronically.

Good luck!!!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X