New checking account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New checking account

My husband and I will be filing bankruptcy (chapter 7) in October. We want to close our current checking account, and open a new one at a different bank, just to protect ourselves from creditors drafting money out of our account. Will the trustee or lawyer have any problems with this?
    Filed Chapter 7 Oct 24,2008
    341 meeting November 25, 2008

No

Comment

No I did the same thing. Expect I opened my account within the same bank. I just closed my other one cause I was making online payments with that account. I have had absolutely no problem at all with this.

Comment

Absolutely not...a good lawyer might advise you to do exactly that. Just be sure the new bank has no affiliation with any of your creditors.
        Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
        341 meeting: July 18, 2008
        last day for objections: September 16, 2008
        DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

My lawyer advised me to do that. He said if they do take the $ and use it to pay on an account, it can be a real mess to straighten it out.

Good Luck.

bk22

Comment

Thanks so much!
            Filed Chapter 7 Oct 24,2008
            341 meeting November 25, 2008

Comment

My husband wants to do the same thing. However, we actually have a credit card tied to the bank and our checking account. Should we change banks or would we be okay to use the same bank? My husband works outside of town and this is only one of two banks locally that I know of that have branches in the town he works in (that way he can have access to the bank during the day if necessary).

Comment

Are you bankrupting on that credit card? If so, I would change banks to one that none of your credit cards are tied too.

Comment

Originally posted by jessegirl View Post
                  Are you bankrupting on that credit card? If so, I would change banks to one that none of your credit cards are tied too.

Definitly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Does this mean that even after the automatic stay is in place, a credit card company who has your bank account number because you made online payments in the past, can go into your bank account and take your money?

Comment

Originally posted by debtfreeplease View Post
                      Does this mean that even after the automatic stay is in place, a credit card company who has your bank account number because you made online payments in the past, can go into your bank account and take your money?
                      They will try but if it's after you file why have to give it back. I had one bank do it. I go the money back the same day.
                      Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                      341 09/17/2008
                      Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                        They will try but if it's after you file why have to give it back. I had one bank do it. I go the money back the same day.
                        Are you talking about a credit card company taking out a payment from your bank account without your permission? If so, how long after you were past due did they do that? And what credit card did it? Was it the same bank as your credit card? I will be in the same situation soon, and cannot close my bank account before a week or so past due with a couple of credit cards. I used my bank account for manually paying my minimums with. Not auto pay, I had to click this and click that to pay every month.

Comment

My attorney said if I wanted to close my account I could, but it wasn't a requirement. I BKed 2 CC's with them and left the account open.

Comment

So can a credit card take money out of any account that you have ever used to pay them with paying online? We have 3 accounts and only one is used to pay cc; the rest are for other purposes. If something happens and we have to file, do we need to close all 3 or just the ones that we've used to pay cc? We have no cc or loans with any of our banks. Although, now everyone is playing switcheroo with all the banks buying each other and merging.

Comment

Originally posted by CreatureShop View Post
                              So can a credit card take money out of any account that you have ever used to pay them with paying online? We have 3 accounts and only one is used to pay cc; the rest are for other purposes. If something happens and we have to file, do we need to close all 3 or just the ones that we've used to pay cc? We have no cc or loans with any of our banks. Although, now everyone is playing switcheroo with all the banks buying each other and merging.
                              this is the same question I have...my mom has a credit union savings account which has never been associated with a debt payment..but I am also scared that a creditor will seize her money...I dont know weather to close the account or not either?
                              Filed-10/2008
                              341-12/10/2008
                              Discharged-3/17/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X