Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cool33097 View Post
    Congratulations!
    We were not able to use our mortgage payment like you did, but I am happy that worked for you.
    I disagree with the previous poster, if you make 150k and live in FL you DO NOT live like a king. FL is very expensive to live.
    Good luck on you new life free of debt.
    Not when you live in a place for $600-1000/mo. That's why people have no business buying $300-600k homes. They opened their own can of worms when they did this. I bought a home within my means. It's just that everything else killed me. $40k in medical bills piled on top of a loved one passing away and trying to do this on $40-50k/yr. income is a joke. We'll have like $300k in debt or more when I get done with my list. Hardly an amount for a $50k/yr. income to support.

Comment

Originally posted by gophermn View Post
      Sept11, you do bring up a good point. People! By all means DO NOT just google Means test and find out you fail the test. I did that at least 3 or 4 times and failed everytime. I then went to an attny and found out I missed A LOT.
      Our income was roughly $110k with $60k in CC and almost $550k in homestead and rental.
      So, stealing Sept11th thread, don't just go off of a web search Means test. Seek an attny or talk with people in this forum who filed on their own.

Good luck!
      Agree, there's just so much about the filling out the online means test that only an attny would make me feel comfortable that I did not pass.

Congrats to Sept11. The key for you seems to be the Jan to June unemployment to bring down your 6 mth average. Wish I had filed back in May or June '08. With 3 months unemployment earlier, I would have passed the means test easily. At that time, however, bk was not even an option I was considering.

Comment

Congrats Sept!

I think it's grand that you made it through your ordeal and even grander that you are willing to share.

While I was not on the verge of not passing the means test, it still was very hard so I can only imagine what you must have been feeling.

My last day for objections is the 27th of this month and so far smooth sailing. I can't fricking wait for discharge!

And FWIW, I think you were honest and I would have done the exact same thing were I you.

Best of luck,

ep
        California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
          ...The way I see it, the post targeted people that may feel hopeless and feel their only option is CH13. The poster tried to give hope to people that feel forced to CH13. They encouraged other people considering filing to look at the entire process rather than settling for CH13 and 3-5 years of paying on debt and incurring more stress...
          That was exactly my read on this, and it seems to me that's exactly the purpose of this forum: to offer our experiences as a way of helping others avoid our mistakes, and as a source of support and hope.

Thanks for sharing, Sept 11, and congratulations on your discharge. Hey, where's your hamster dance??
          Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
          341 meeting: July 18, 2008
          last day for objections: September 16, 2008
          DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by WoodSprite View Post
            That was exactly my read on this, and it seems to me that's exactly the purpose of this forum: to offer our experiences as a way of helping others avoid our mistakes, and as a source of support and hope.

Thanks for sharing, Sept 11, and congratulations on your discharge. Hey, where's your hamster dance??
            SORRY we didn't see where he got discharged. Here is #2 Hamster dance of VICTORY!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We LOVE hearing good news--even if it comes a little late. Here you go!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Apparently you were reading another post than the one I just read. I don't see a scam at all.

We are in the 6 figures, filed C7, discharged and closed.

ETA: Congrats to the OP!!

Originally posted by outofluck07 View Post
                You know you're getting a job that pays 150K and you still don't feel a little bad about not paying back honest debt.....I don't think encouraging people to scam their way through (such as claiming a huge house payment as a "current monthly expense" that you have no intention of paying ever again) is ethical. I've read a lot of posts on here, but this blows me away. You must have known that that's not the way the means test works, or you wouldn't have been so nervous throughout your filing. What a shame. Anyone agree with me on this one?

Comment

I wish I could make the 6-figures and stay making it. We saw it briefly and then it went away. If I could simply stay making 6-figures, I'd never have a need to file BK.

I need to post a new thread asking how everyone is making 6-figures so I can learn what I am doing wrong about not making it.

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
                    I wish I could make the 6-figures and stay making it. We saw it briefly and then it went away. If I could simply stay making 6-figures, I'd never have a need to file BK.

I need to post a new thread asking how everyone is making 6-figures so I can learn what I am doing wrong about not making it.
                    I definitely would love to see the responses from that thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                      I definitely would love to see the responses from that thread
                      Done!

Comment

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to say congratulations and heartfelt best wishes for the future -- this is a great way to get a clean start.

Comment

If I can get mine discharged, I know I will feel like I dropped 150 lbs!

Comment

Thank you

Thanks to all except the original responder for all your love and support. I have to admit...this forum was the absolute best thing to stumble across throughout this whole process. I was a little upset when I read the 1st response because the last thing I wanted was to come across as sneaky. Believe me...it does morally bother me a bit that I'm making money now and forgot about my previous debt. But the important thing to remember is this...things were different back in June. I was unemployed sinking deeper and deeper into debt. 3 lawsuits were filed against me and my wife because we were so behind on payments. So...when we filed back in June...we were at an all-time low. As soon as our lawyer electronically filed our case...the new beginning began.

The government has bankruptcy for situations exactly like mine. Even if my wife and I made the money we're making now...it would take a lifetime to pay back 150,000 dollars. Bankruptcy gives honest people a fresh start immediately.

Once again...let's not forget that we don't walk away from bankruptcy with no damage....we leave our credit on the table. It's demolished for a very long time.

Comment

Congrats Sept11 - Enjoy your fresh start....

Comment

I don't see anything unethical about this at all. especially when you consider the lengths the banks will go to to try and screw you the consumer out of money. they spend millions a year on lawyers and lobbyists to tip the scales in their favor and take advantage of every loophole they can possibly find to keep squeezing money out of us.

miss a payment and your interest rate shoots through the roof, who cares that the people who tend to miss payments are the exact same people who can't afford those higher payments.

one of the many debts i'm carrying right now involves a cell phone bill on a phone that was STOLEN from me. despite repeatedly reporting the phone stolen it took TWO MONTHS for them to shut it off. i recieved a bill for several thousand dollars and told i was responsible because, if i had read the fine print in the contract, i had 10 days to replace the phone or all charges incurred after its theft would be my responsibility. oh, and none of the many representatives of said phone company had any responsibility to tell me this prior to recieving the bill. is that fair?

congrats sept11, hope you learned your lesson and make the most of this. keep praying for the rest of us, i know i need it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X