top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close checking account before filing and re-open after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close checking account before filing and re-open after?

hi again,
    in september of this year i opened up a checking account with wamu which is now chase. i owe a bunch of debt to chase so i do not want to keep any money in this account for fear they will freeze it. i recently opened up another account at another bank. is it a good idea for me to close my wamu account and re-open it after i am discharged or is it not possible to get any accounts so soon after? the other bank i opened with is a local bank only so if i were to move out of state, i would need another bank. thanks in advance!

I closed any accounts that were connected to any credit cards because they have been known to withdraw money out of the account. I would close that one now. I have heard on this forum that people didn't even have money in the account and they were deducting money. I closed my accounts right before i filed and reopened another account.

Comment

You would not necessarily need another bank. They now are almost all online. I have my CU in OH and I live in FL. I would not reopen the WAMU account at all. Keep a low profile even after. Just my opinion. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Close the account, use your new account, move on. As hub pointed out, most banks are online now anyway, should you move, you can continue to use that account from anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
          hi again,
          in september of this year i opened up a checking account with wamu which is now chase. i owe a bunch of debt to chase so i do not want to keep any money in this account for fear they will freeze it. i recently opened up another account at another bank. is it a good idea for me to close my wamu account and re-open it after i am discharged or is it not possible to get any accounts so soon after? the other bank i opened with is a local bank only so if i were to move out of state, i would need another bank. thanks in advance!
          Yes, it was a good idea to close your WAMU accounts after Chase took them over. And no - do not re-open another wamuu/chase account when you move to another state.

Comment

I didn't mean reopen another account within the same bank. I meant open another one in a different bank. My attorney advised us to close the ones that were connected to the cc's and reopen somewhere else not connected to the cc's.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!! I really appreciate everyone's help! I just called WaMu and it will be closed within 2 business days. I will keep my other account open. I havent put any money in my newly opened account. Does anyone know since the WaMu is now closed if I need to include that along with bank statements for the 341? I assume I will have to for the new account even though it will just show 0.00, but I am not sure about closed/inactive accounts. Thanks again for everyone's help. FYI...anyone who has WaMu...the rep was very friendly and didn't grill me on why I was closing it. VERY EASY! OK, goodnight!
              Last edited by Beeheery; 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Yes you will have to bring 6 months or whatever worth of bank statements of any/all banks. If the trustee asks you why you switched banks just tell him/her the truth - that you didn't want to deal with Chase/Wamu.

Comment

What if I had a bank account 7 months ago that I closed iwth my credit union becasue of cross collateralization and now only have my US BANK. Should I still bring a couple months of statements of the CU?
                  Filed Ch 7: 12-31-08 in IL (Equifax) 469
                  341: 2-13-09 --- Held and Concluded 538
                  Discharge: 4-15-09 - 601 NOW
                  I came, I went, I saw, I was discharged. Thank god for this board.

Comment

Originally posted by jgordo52 View Post
                    What if I had a bank account 7 months ago that I closed iwth my credit union becasue of cross collateralization and now only have my US BANK. Should I still bring a couple months of statements of the CU?
                    If the trustee asks for more than 6 months worth of statements - yes.
                    If you are asked only for 6 months worth - no.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X