I raked up a bunch of NSF fees on my checking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I raked up a bunch of NSF fees on my checking

Hi. I've been kind of desperate lately since my car is not selling and I need cash. I made a few NSF transactions, intentionally, so I could buy food/gas. My Credit Union offers a $-500 negative convenience on transactions.

After my car sells (I'm making payment on it, but I'm not upside down, so I should be able to get around $1000 for it), I plan on repaying what I used but I won't be able to afford to pay the $29 x 6 NSF fees. It is just too much.

Do you suppose I'll have a problem with BK if I've paid back what I used, minus the NSF fees?

Is your Credit Union your primary banker?
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I hope you'll let us know the outcome.

I've always wondered, that using a debit card and some of these banks (OK, ALL the banks) use the "Highest first, lowest last" way of screwing the consumer for NSF fees.

That you use the card (Say on 25 purchases for $1.00 or so and then after racking up 25 NSF charges (I have one bank that charges $37 per charge) you repay the ACTUAL money spent, but not the nsf charges) would this possibly be counted as "Theft of service, fraud, or theft"?

I know of one guy who has done something like it, but he left MO (No, not me) and I never knew what happened..But he did repay only the actual money, but not the nsf charges.

They were $30 at his bank...Dang he had...about 22 charges..$660 in fees..Whoooboy!

Comment

JayJay: We have been there, done that. Picture a $5.50 bad check costing you $35.50. Then when you redeem your bad check, another $25. This is crazy. STOP. Pick cans up on the road or whatever. Since I have been there, I cannot fault you. I just don’t know what to tell you.

How do you eat? Angelfoodministries.com is what we use. Not fancy but all fresh and fairly good stuff. It isn’t gourmet.

Actually we need more info to aid you. Are you employed? How are you living, such as house and all. Do you have a family? Have you attempted food stamps? All this is at your fingers.

Selling a car this time is tough. The dealers wish to push them out the door. Whatever your car is, they now are dime a dozen. NEVER put your hope and heart into an idea of wishes.

I feel for you, and when my crack head brother was picking up free food from three Churches, and he was racking in $4500 a month, there are resources for needy folks like you who are deserving and will pay society back when you get on your own feet.

I am now through after thinking about this. I certainly wish you a better New Year. “Hub and Mrs.
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I included my maxed $500 OD line of credit from my credit union with my bankruptcy.

Sad, I really liked the CU, hate to include it but I had to.
          Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
          Discharged 4-17-09!!!
          Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
          "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
            Is your Credit Union your primary banker?
            Well not my primary. I have two CU's and have a checking account with each one. The one I'm talking about is in my last place of resident so I no longer use them unless it was for backup.

Thank you and I really appreciate that. I'll be studying hard so by the Summer I will have some decent computer programming skills.

Originally posted by Intoodeep80 View Post
            I included my maxed $500 OD line of credit from my credit union with my bankruptcy.

Sad, I really liked the CU, hate to include it but I had to.
            I certainly like my CU too and that is why I really want to pay what I used. I just hope they won't try to pursue me for NSF fees even if I've paid what I used.

Comment

I certainly like my CU too and that is why I really want to pay what I used. I just hope they won't try to pursue me for NSF fees even if I've paid what I used.[/QUOTE]

It is an excellent idea to pay these fees. Normally I would say just add it to the matrix an be done with it - but on NSF fees you also get reported to Chexsystems. That follows you for 5 years. Chexsystems can prevent you from opening a new account as most of the banks/CU's use this report to find out if you abuse the check writing previledge. Check writing also means debit card or EFT's or ACH's not just checks. So if you can possibly pay this off prior to your filing, then do so as the repercussions are substantial. Look at this link: https://www.consumerdebit.com/consum...stems/faqs.htm
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

how about over $700.00 in NSF fee for .73 with over $600. in counter deposits that did not get entered into the system by noon that day and I had been to the bank at 1130.
                the girl i gave my deposits to went to lunch and made the deposits at 12:17 so they did not go in till the next day.
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                  how about over $700.00 in NSF fee for .73 with over $600. in counter deposits that did not get entered into the system by noon that day and I had been to the bank at 1130.
                  the girl i gave my deposits to went to lunch and made the deposits at 12:17 so they did not go in till the next day.
                  I totally believe you. I believe they have the system designed for failure (our failure - not the bank's failure). This way they make lots of money on fees. I would argue with the branch manager to get a credit for the NSF in this specific instance, show the receipt etc. Do not use the telephone CSR's they are powerless to do anything. Speak directly to the branch manager where you opened the account.

I also have had weird things happen - I deposited cash into my account (cashed the check rather than deposit it because I could not wait a week for the check to clear as payments were due right away). I was charged $32 TO MAKE A CASH DEPOSIT. It was a per item charge. Crazy, a charge to make a deposit! I called the branch manager and they removed the charge at my request.
                  Last edited by StartingOver08; 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM.
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                  Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

This happened in July I did speak the branch manager. I did not have a time stamp on the diposit slip lesson learned don't walk away with out it.
                    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                    341 09/17/2008
                    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I lost a deposit slip and couldn't prove the time I deposited cash. I got nailed with eight NSF fees, totaling $280. Although it was my own fault for not hanging onto the receipt, I called and was able to get the fees reduced to $140. If you don't have a history of habitual NSF events it might be worth a try to call and ask if there's anything they'd be willing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Help! View Post
                        I lost a deposit slip and couldn't prove the time I deposited cash. I got nailed with eight NSF fees, totaling $280. Although it was my own fault for not hanging onto the receipt, I called and was able to get the fees reduced to $140. If you don't have a history of habitual NSF events it might be worth a try to call and ask if there's anything they'd be willing to do.
                        Maybe I should tell them honestly that I will be going bankrupt and won't be able to pay the NSF fees. It may budge them a little?

Comment

Originally posted by JayJay View Post
                          Maybe I should tell them honestly that I will be going bankrupt and won't be able to pay the NSF fees. It may budge them a little?
                          If you stay persistent they may split them with you.
                          Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                          341 09/17/2008
                          Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

OK guys. I finally got my student loan refund (unused portion from school). I still have not dealt with my negative checking account with the whole bunch of NSF fees.

Before I do anything, how do you guys think I should go about this? Should I only give back what I've used and then send them a letter explaining that I can't afford to pay the NSF's? Or should I not pay them at all until I get some sort of reply back in the mail?

Again, this is not my primary bank account so I don't mind if they decide to close out on me.

Comment

I remember back in the day when Hardees took checks. $1.00 biscuit caused an overdraft and I ended up paying almost $100.00 for that biscuit! My husband still talks about that expensive biscuit.
                              "Don't let your wants overload your a**"
                              (author unknown)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X