top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh crap, we didn't just mess up, did we?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh crap, we didn't just mess up, did we?

I have a couple of joint accounts with a co-signer, one is for a car and one is for a boat. I am filing bk and they are not. The co-signer pulled their credit report today and saw that the boat is reporting as on time/never late, but the car is reported as IIB/never late. We weren't expecting this to happen on their credit report, so we clicked the "dispute" button and just indicated that since the co-signer had not filed bankrupcty, please report this as open and on time rather than IIB. Seemed like the right thing to do for the request!

I just happened to think, though.....my 60 days is up next week, so am hoping for discharge and close just around the corner as I am a simple case. Us doing this "dispute" thing on the co-signer's credit report for our co-signed car, won't mess anything up or delay anything, will it??

I don't think it should. If that person didn't file bankruptcy, then the credit report shouldn't reflect that on their credit report. But since you did, you should still be discharged of the responsiblity for the debt. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I assume you must be related to the co-signer (or something) if you are able to log in and dispute THEIR credit report.

But your course of action is correct, the co-signer needs to dispute the entry on their credit report.

Comment

We did it together....they accessed it with their own information but I was there as we are sort of in this thing together . We are not related. In looking at the detail of the listing, it said "account with bkchap7filer." So that part is correct and the account has always been and is currently up to date so we really wanted to correct their credit report and want them to continue to report as "open and on time".

After we did it though, I thought.....oh, man we could have just as easily waited a couple of weeks to do if it were going to mess with my bk dates in terms of a delay or something.

Sounds like the great folks on this board think that disputing THEIR credit report won't affect MY bk, right? It really is just disputing the way it is reporting for them. I think it is just freak out time as my 60 days being up is just around the corner.

Comment

Correct, issuing a dispute to their credit report will not effect anything with regard to your BK.

Comment

This has me worried. The only loan I have with a co-signer is my private student loan and my mom co-signed. Is there anyway that she will have bk on her report?

She has no idea we are filing and I really want to keep it that way. I do not want her to worry.

Comment

Don't mean to worry any of you further but as far as I understand, when one person files for BK and they have a joint account, even if the other person is not filing, it will show up on the other persons credit as Included in Bankruptcy (IIB) since that particular account was really IIB. Now, the actual BK will NOT show up on their credit cause they were not the ones to file BK.
              Discharged 6/23/08

Comment

Originally posted by carbk View Post
                Don't mean to worry any of you further but as far as I understand, when one person files for BK and they have a joint account, even if the other person is not filing, it will show up on the other persons credit as Included in Bankruptcy (IIB) since that particular account was really IIB. Now, the actual BK will NOT show up on their credit cause they were not the ones to file BK.
                Not true. Or, at least they are not supposed too. If a creditor reports IIB on the non-filing co-signers credit report, it is a disputable entry.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X