2008 Tax Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Tax Refund

Since our case discharged and closed 10/08 (no asset case), is it safe to assume that any tax refund we receive for 2008 is ours to keep? Trustee did ask us how much we expected to receive at our 341 and made a note of it (~$5k), but we never heard from him again. Anyone ever had to give up their refund after their case was closed?

We've already adjusted withholdings to minimize our refund.

Thanks!
    Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
    341 Meeting - 08/13/08
    DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
    CLOSED - 10/20/08

I think you are okay since you are almost three months from discharge AND closing.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

You may not be ok, as of last month, most Chapter 7 trustees review their cases for potential refunds and depending on your state's exemptions they will send a form letter to the IRS having them send your refund directly to the Chapter 7 Trustee. The Trustee will then decide to keep it or send it on to you. They won't tell you that at your 341, it will just happen.

Good Luck
      Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by BKParalegal View Post
        You may not be ok, as of last month, most Chapter 7 trustees review their cases for potential refunds and depending on your state's exemptions they will send a form letter to the IRS having them send your refund directly to the Chapter 7 Trustee. The Trustee will then decide to keep it or send it on to you. They won't tell you that at your 341, it will just happen.

Good Luck
        Thanks for the info. If this is the case, is it possible that the IRS would have already received this letter, and thus I could call them and check to see if in fact they will be holding on to our refund?

We didn't exempt (even though we had more than enough of the wild card exemption available), but we did disclose it as pro-rated income on the schedule I.
        Last edited by laurannm; 01-13-2009, 07:26 AM.
        Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
        341 Meeting - 08/13/08
        DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
        CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

I was just notified, that we need to give the trustee 2008 taxes, and if any refund she takes it. Just FYI.
          Filed 10/11/08 - 341 11/23/08 - Discharged 1/26/09
          2/19/09 Stipulation agreement reached w/trustee - Still awaiting Closed Status
          Check my blog at Steve's Bankruptcy Blog Watch day by day what happens with a PITA trustee! - Web Hosting by Broadband Hosting Web Hosting

Comment

I wonder if they can still take it if we exempted it? We had our 341 today and the trustee did not say a word about it. Here's what we did.

Schedule B
            Anticipated 2008 Tax return $6,000

On Schedule C We listed:

We put "Anticipated 2008 Tax Return"
            (Husb)11 U.S.C. 522(d)(5) $3,000
            (Wife)11 U.S.C 522(d)(5) $3,000

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaGuy View Post
              I was just notified, that we need to give the trustee 2008 taxes, and if any refund she takes it. Just FYI.
              Is your case still open though? Ours is closed so I am hoping we are good to go.
              Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
              341 Meeting - 08/13/08
              DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
              CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

I am with you.....I understand the trustee can take it if he/she wants it, but I wouldn't think they would open a closed case if they hadn't mentioned it before. I also understand they can open a closed case if they want to, but I just would think if you were closed and didn't hear a peep about it while the case was open in terms of them expressing interest then you should be safe. Is this being naive?

Comment

I think you are right. Seems like just about everyone on here were notified ahead of time if the trustee was interested, and if they were, their case was left open until the refund was received and distributed.

I had asked my lawyer about this, and he said the refund is safe
                  Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
                  341 Meeting - 08/13/08
                  DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
                  CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

How about the filing process? I was an individual, Chapter 7, no assett case and closed in September. I have been doing my taxes myself with the help of some software. Should I consult a preparer this year or does my bankruptcy have no effect on my return/refund?
                    Filed Chapter 7 4/29/08
                    341 Survived 5/27/08
                    Discharged 8/19/08
                    Case Closed 9/08/08

Comment

Originally posted by laurannm View Post
                      I think you are right. Seems like just about everyone on here were notified ahead of time if the trustee was interested, and if they were, their case was left open until the refund was received and distributed.

I had asked my lawyer about this, and he said the refund is safe
                      I asked about this also during our meeting today, as an aside since we aren't doing the CH 7 any longer. Our attorney said that once the case is closed if there was no mention made of giving the trustee a copy of the return then it would be your money free and clear.
                      Last edited by welovedis; 01-15-2009, 04:37 PM. Reason: misspelling
                      11/18/08 filed CH 7; 341: 12/11/09, cont'd to 01/06/09
                      03/21/09 341 hearing for CH 13
                      04/27/09 Confirmation hearing for CH 13
                      $199/mth for 60 months + $9K 2008 income tax refund

Comment

Just file your taxes. If you get it (the refund), which you probably will, just spend it. Pay bills ASAP. Shoudn't be a problem.
                        Chapter 13 filed 08/07 60 month plan... $250.00 per month. 2 years to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                          I wonder if they can still take it if we exempted it? We had our 341 today and the trustee did not say a word about it. Here's what we did.

Schedule B

On Schedule C We listed:

It might be off topic but where do you find the codes that go right next to the exemptions.??? Thanks
                          Filed Chapter 7 4/22/2009
                          341 Meeting Scheduled 5/27/2009
                          Discharged 7/30/2009
                          Awaiting closing!!!!

Comment

OOOps - I didn't see this thread and posted my own. Trustee wants my 08' taxes. Good thing I adjusted my withholdings throughout the year to try to even out. I'm maybe getting $400 if even that. I wasn't aware one could exempt future withholdings. If one does have cash exemptions I understood it to be 'cash on hand' on day of filing.

So lesson learned for those filing in early 2009 - adjust your tax withholdings after you file so next yr trustee doesn't get much.
                            Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
                            341 July 1, 2008
                            Discharged September 4, 2008
                            Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by laurannm View Post
                              Since our case discharged and closed 10/08 (no asset case), is it safe to assume that any tax refund we receive for 2008 is ours to keep?
                              never safe to assume; only safety we all have is applying exemption codes to protect the assets we wish to keep - including future tax returns.

Originally posted by BKParalegal View Post
                              They won't tell you that at your 341, it will just happen.
                              sneaky 3($U@#EQs.

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post

Schedule B

On Schedule C We listed:

i did the same; will update the forum if i experience any issues regarding my tax return.

Originally posted by rickisbroke View Post
                              How about the filing process? I was an individual, Chapter 7, no assett case and closed in September. I have been doing my taxes myself with the help of some software. Should I consult a preparer this year or does my bankruptcy have no effect on my return/refund?
                              my understanding is that filing taxes in your particular bk situation is business as usual - no bk affect. i do recall there being some instances where filers have to pay taxes on the amount they have had discharged or forgiven - no sources to back that up though, and if i recall, it didn't apply to us.

someone with the knowledge, help clarify? thx
                              Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                              (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X