Filing tax refund while still in bankruptcy process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing tax refund while still in bankruptcy process

Hi, all. This is my 1st post but I've been lurking here for about a year.

We had our 341 meeting 2 days ago on 01/14/09. Pacer listed today on my file:

Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution

I want to file my tax return for this year today because we really need the refund (maybe $2000). The trustee said that our Chapter 7's discharge date would be 03/15/09. Will we get our refund if we file today or will it go to the trustee?
    Filed Ch 7 Petition: 12/17/08
    341 Meeting: 01/14/09
    Discharged: 03/18/09
    Closed: 03/18/09

Good question....I have the same one...can the wild car be used for the refund??? Or any exemptions if you have no cash elsewhere....??
    Filed Chapter 7 4/22/2009
    341 Meeting Scheduled 5/27/2009
    Discharged 7/30/2009
    Awaiting closing!!!!

Comment

Did you exempt the return? If not, I would get it and spend it? However, make sure it is on stuff you need. Keep receipts. Don't go buy a new plasma T.V. ( or atleast wait until March) :o)

Comment

Originally posted by arami008 View Post
        Good question....I have the same one...can the wild car be used for the refund??? Or any exemptions if you have no cash elsewhere....??
        yes, the wild card can be applied to future tax returns - however you need to clearly state that on your schedule.
        Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
        (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

We didn't exempt the tax return on our schedule . I wonder if it's too late to amend the schedules since we've already had our 341 meeting. I would definitely spend the money on getting my car repaired & on catching up on the bills (especially the heat). Thanks for replying guys. I don't think we would have made it without you all's advice .
          Filed Ch 7 Petition: 12/17/08
          341 Meeting: 01/14/09
          Discharged: 03/18/09
          Closed: 03/18/09

Comment

You can amend your schedules after the 341. Contact your attorney right away, make sure you have enough in your exemptions, including wild card, to exempt the future anticipated 2008 tax refund.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

yup, just want to 2nd that - you can amend until the case is closed - BUT - the sooner the better.
              Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
              (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X