Hope some creditors/collectors see this rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope some creditors/collectors see this rant

So yes, I've proven to myself that I can't handle credit. Had a 7 back in the mid-1990's, then slowly got myself rebuilt. Slowly but surely got myself a little overloaded through the last several years--but I could make my payments. Then about a year ago some things go a bit bad with my wife's income. Suddenly I'm finding myself having to cover a bit more than I possibly can, and I'm drifting behind and maxing out credit cards. Finally, i decide it's time to start calling creditors before things really slip. Well, to make this short(er) and sweet(er), NOT ONE of my creditors, be they credit cards, car loans, RV loans, etc. was willing to work out a single thing. Many of the cards had been increasing my interest rates due to my credit starting to look a bit thin (maxed cards, few late payments); but no one wanted anything to do with lowering rates or doing something to lower monthly payments. Oh, but if I'd actually been behind by a few months some of them said that THEN I'd qualify for a special 'plan' of some type. Yes, I tried Consumer Credit to put together a plan--turned out that would cost me MORE each month; yes, my debts would have been paid off in about 4 years, but still, I needed to reduce outgo right now!
    All stupid! I'd like someone, particularly someone involved in the credit/collections process to explain to me how these companies being jerks (some just downright rude), and refusing to work anything at all out with me, should make me feel at all bad about filing Ch 7 and discharging the whole ball of crap? I actually took some degree of JOY when I simply stopped making my little minimum payments, and they started calling me. Best was Ford Motor Credit. They said I was 3 months short of being able to qualify for a rewrite of my loan to reduce the payments. I had a 0% interest loan with them, and was even willing to rewrite WITH a modest interest rate as long as we could drop my payment by around $100/month. "No, you don't qualify." When I finally brought up that I was considering filing a bankruptcy, the rep told me "not to threaten them with bankruptcy." Told her it wasn't a threat, it was the reality of the situation, and that's why I was trying to work something out with them and other creditors. She reminded me when my next payment was due, and terminated the phone call. How nice. So I stopped paying their butts too, used the cash to hire an attorney a few months later. Of course they started calling me after my first missed payment--I asked them what, exactly, they didn't understand about the call I'd made previously. So then, once I file Ch 7, I was in a fix. We needed 2 cars in the household, and I wasn't sure if I could get something else financed. We made Ford credit an offer to reaffirm the loan, at the same terms, and to pay the arrearage within 30 days. They absolutely insisted that the arrearage amount HAD to be paid within 10 days or they would get the stay lifted and take the vehicle. My lawyer pleaded with their lawyer to just give us 10 more days (20 total) to bring the loan current. They wouldn't budge. Then, I got another car financed after my 341 meeting, and we told them that they could have their car. Well, that was nearly 2 months ago and their car still sits in my driveway! So, to all of them who wouldn't work with me: Ford Credit, Wells Fargo, Dell financial, Chase, Household Finance, AppliedCard Bank, GE Money, and a few others--you can all take a flying leap!

Sorry to hear about that! Congrat's on the 341! And all my creditors can go jump through hoops too. They are ridiculous! Times are so freaking tough right now!
    9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
    11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
    01/04/2010 - last day for objections
    01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

outsidetool:

I'm right there with you. I love how all these creditors/collections agencies take this pose that you're being unreasonable/irresponsible. There's a lot of blame to go around with this current economic crisis but one thing I know very well: I had *very* little to do with the economy collapsing. Bankruptcy is what unreasonable creditors deserve and like you, I feel very little guilt about it.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Fantastic!

I feel the same way!! Did you get financed for a car after discharge or 341? i thought you had to wait until discharge,, who did you go with and was it a decent deal.. I may need a car and would love to know who can help me..
        Thanks B
        B x
        filed Ch 7 Oct 31st 2008.
        341 Dec 10th 2008.
        DiSCHARGED Feb 10th 2009

Comment

Originally posted by B65 View Post
          I feel the same way!! Did you get financed for a car after discharge or 341? i thought you had to wait until discharge,, who did you go with and was it a decent deal.. I may need a car and would love to know who can help me..
          Thanks B
          I had about 10 offers to finance me show up in my mailbox, mostly from local car dealerships, as soon as I filed. Within a few weeks after filing I went to a chevy dealership on a Saturday; they 'spotted' me a $20,000 used car, said all would be fine. Well, the next week I kept calling them to go sign the 'final' paperwork, and in the end they couldn't get the deal done. I was told that the problem was because of my "multiple" bankruptcys (current one plus one from mid '90's) which somehow their finance company that dealt with 'open' ch. 7 cases found record of. (Note that I HAD told the salespeople at the dealership right up front that I had previously filed a BK--but their actual application only asked if you had a filing within the last 10 years). They claimed that due to the credit crunch, their lender was being a little picky. In any event, I drove that car around for a week and then had to return it. I then went to a place here in Salt Lake City, UT called "Low Book Sales." I put in an online app, and they called me back that evening. The next day I was in finding a car. Granted, the car I got from them was nothing like the initial $20k Chevy noted above. I bought a 2005 Dodge Neon with 47k miles on it, in fair shape at best. They did give me a 45-day, 3000 mile exchange warranty. Paid $10,000 for the car (significantly above it's BB value), and with a 22% rate. Nothing down; my payments around $400/m/60. So far it's running fine and does at least get good gas mileage. That Chevy was going to cost me $600/m for 72 months--so in the big scheme of things I'm happy the way it worked out. I think there's places out there that will loan you money depending on exactly what issues you have.
          Note: Did the purchase about a week after the 341.
          Last edited by outsidetool; 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

On those car deals... OUCH!!!!
            Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
            Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
            If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

I knew I picked the right lawyer when, upon looking over my statements and my interest rate changes she said, "Wow, they really stuck it to you. I guess it is time to give some of that back to them". Granted, we were in pretty deep, but we were also still able to make our monthly payments and have enough left over to eat. There was no money for anything extra in the event that a car broke down and things were being put on credit, but we were surviving. It would have taken us 50 years to pay it if I never find a good job, but we would have done it. When my dad died he had an account at the same company that both my husband and I had accounts with. It is a really complicated story, but he lived with us and my mother lived in another estate. They had been divorced and recently remarried before finding out he was terminally ill. He owned nothing when he died and so no estate was ever filed. Somehow, out accounts were flagged as possibly being fraudulent accounts because of too many accounts and this address and the fact that the contact info was invalid. That was our fault for changing our number and not notifying them. Either way, we got it resolved and they brought the accounts back out of collections, but not in time to reverse the damages. Our interest rates skyrocketed. Chase went from 7.99% to 34%, but I think that was the worst. When a monthly payment increases from $212 on a $10,000 debt to $587, how on earth do they expect you to continue paying. We made about two more months worth of payments, but only by not buying groceries and selling things on craigslist and most of them were late at that time. The utilites fell behind in that time frame. None of them were willing to work with us and I finally decided that my kids being able to eat was more important than paying them. Now some of them suddenly want to work with us as things are getting more and more late, but now there is really no hope. Only a few months ago I looked at bankruptcy as not being an option for us. Now I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt.

Comment

I would totally agree that they are just a bunch of dumb greedy idiots. They literally dont help the consumer at all, and instead end up receiving nothing but a tax write off. Perhaps it makes more sense for them to just push consumers into a BK.

I too tried the Consumer Credit Counseling approach, which is a total joke.

The payments literally stayed the same, and then they had the audacity to tell me that I just needed to buy food boxes at the shelter instead of buying groceries at $400 a month.

I was like, hmm, yeah, I think I will just go file a BK instead genius.

Comment

Wow outsidetool, I swear I found my twin:-) Reading your story mimmicks mine to the tee. I did everything you did trying to work deals and get the same results as you, right down to the Consumer Credit. Good for you filing bk, I too made the dicision and do I feel guilty, nope, back to sleeping a full night and it does feel good. Good luck with everything and enjoy your fresh start.

Comment

Newbie to site.
                    These companies are wacked. Life was good. Made the fatal mistake of living off OT. Well it disappeared and now includes 2-3-weeks of layoff a month. Thought I would be proactive with CC companies and beg for help. When I called the first one they thought I should buy their protection plan for .$.89 per 100 in debt. OK I cant pay my bill but you want me to buy this????WTF. Second one I call, I cant pay this month, sir I can immediately give you a 1200 cash advance to help cover your expenses.....I was at a complete loss.
                    Filed 4-5-09 CH.7
                    341- 5-28-09 continued TT had no case paperwork??????
                    341 meeting 6-18-09, Went Swell, 3 minutes
                    Discharged 7-29-09

Comment

Ah gotta love it. It doesn't surprise me one bit though.

Comment

Originally posted by outsidetool View Post
                        Paid $10,000 for the car (significantly above it's BB value), and with a 22% rate. Nothing down; my payments around $400/m/60. So far it's running fine and does at least get good gas mileage.
                        All I can say is OUCH! That's $24,000 over the course of 5 years for a car that you say was above BB value when you bought it for $10,000! I sympathize with your situation, but I think it's important for all of us to be extra careful with our financial decisions going forward... Sorry if I sound mean, but again... OUCH! And believe me, I don't mean to cast stones -
                        BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broken64 View Post
                          Wow outsidetool, I swear I found my twin:-) Reading your story mimmicks mine to the tee. I did everything you did trying to work deals and get the same results as you, right down to the Consumer Credit. Good for you filing bk, I too made the dicision and do I feel guilty, nope, back to sleeping a full night and it does feel good. Good luck with everything and enjoy your fresh start.
                          You too; hope all works out for you. My blood pressure fell 10 points after filing the BK. My doctor literally asked me what I was doing differently lately; I just smiled and said that I'd "retired some debt." Yeah, I know that I took on all the debt, but those d*** cc companies played me to a tee; and then wanted nothing to do with helping me out when I really needed some meaningful help. No guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie007 View Post
                            All I can say is OUCH! That's $24,000 over the course of 5 years for a car that you say was above BB value when you bought it for $10,000! I sympathize with your situation, but I think it's important for all of us to be extra careful with our financial decisions going forward... Sorry if I sound mean, but again... OUCH! And believe me, I don't mean to cast stones -
                            Yes, trixie007, I'm fully aware that it wasn't a great deal. But, we had to have a second car. I could have kept/reaffirmed my vehicle that was in the BK case--but the payment on it was $800/month, though at 0% interest, it had lots of old upside-down equity originally built in to it, on a truck now worth about $18K with a balance of $33k. Granted, it was a MUCH nicer ride than my current 2005 Neon--but NOT worth twice the price each month. In any event, I've returned to college and forsee nothing but improvement now that my car payment is at least lower each month and my ratty little unsecured debts are going away. Thus, the intent is to NOT keep the Neon and it's high interest rate much over another 18 months. It's all a means to an end I guess. I frankly don't know what other "better" financial decision I could have made at the time. Do not have the cash to buy a car outright to get around, and due to where we live and work there is no bus/taxi option--explored all that.

Comment

Well, it sounds like you have a good plan, and I wish you the best of success. What a shame they kick you when you're down with 22% interest! But, like you said, at least you have a reliable vehicle to help you move forward toward achieving your goals.
                              BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X