top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed direct deposit What is best way to pay bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed direct deposit What is best way to pay bills?

I Just changed direct deposit to new bank. Old CU was source of all banking activity and everything has been paid for years with that account. Should I start paying with check from new account or money order? If they have my check can they take out payment using routing numbers on new account?

Originally posted by Kansas1960 View Post
    I Just changed direct deposit to new bank. Old CU was source of all banking activity and everything has been paid for years with that account. Should I start paying with check from new account or money order? If they have my check can they take out payment using routing numbers on new account?
    Who are "they"?

Comment

I don't believe they can directly take money out unless you have set up a payment with that account. However, they will know where you bank, which should only affect you if they get a judgement and then whatever it is that allows them to sieze your bank account. Unless it's the IRS or something like that...
      BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

"They "= CC companies. I hear that BOA won't let you stop online payments once you set them up. For this reason I have changed banks so when the time comes to stop paying I can use another source to pay my mortgage. I may make a few more months payment to CC to get more time behind BT and such but use the new account. If I do make a few more payments would it be better to use a money order or checks from new accounts? I think my question was answered that it would be ok to use checks from new account to pay. I won't let this go more than 5 or 6 months wo paying so chance of a judgement would be slim.

Comment

Hey Kansas, You are right about getting out of Bank of America. You may have read about my troubles getting them to cancel automatic payments for our RV that we are surrendering. I just opened a new checking account at a different bank because of others advice on this board. I am going to close out my BofA on Friday after two payments that I did authorize will go through and before they take any money out that they aren't supposed to.

I think it would be illegal (and I'm sure someone else can confirm or not) to just get my routing and account numbers off my new account and draft that account with prior authorization. From what I understand, if you owe money to BofA and have a checking account or savings or whatever with them they can and have taken money to satisfy payments on other credit or mortgage accounts - they call it cross-collaterization I think someone said.

Anyway, if you open a new account at a different bank you don't owe any money to you will be fine. Just write checks to pay whatever bills you are going to continue to pay.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X