Dell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell?

Can Dell take away your computer if you file bankruptcy on your Dell Financial Services Account?

sometimes; they did not take mine but there are posts talking about how Dell wanted them back.
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

They had initially contacted my attorney's office regarding making a claim that my account with them was secured by the 5 year old desktop computer that I still owed $1000 on (years of minimum payments...). However, when asked to provide paperwork for a reaffirmation and/or an amount that they valued the computer at, we never heard from thema again. They got discharged, and I still have the computer.

Comment

Depends on the age of the computer I suppose.

I had gotten a Dell in 2004. Filed in 2007. Have never heard from Dell.

Now if you got a Dell say in April of a year and filed in October of the same year they might be more willing to object.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I hasve never heard of DELL taking back a pc. One that old is worthless to them

Comment

Dell wants your money not your PC, however if you bought it a month ago, they might be a little interested. I've heard of people calling their bluff and they don't do anything (the same with furniture companies), they basically try to intimidate you into paying them back.
            Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
            341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
            Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

I bought mine in September or October of 2006, so they probably won't want it back.

Comment

I don't think they'd want it back; IMO Dell computers suck anyhow. I've been thru 2 of them and never again.
                Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
                341 Meeting: 1/22/09
                Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

I never heard from Dell after I filed in 2007. My desktop was a 2003 and my laptop was a 2005 but not once did they try and contact me.

Comment

I bought a Dell laptop computer on my Dell credit account in Feb. 2008 (cost about $1600), filed BK7 in Dec. 2008, and so far they haven't requested anything.

Honestly, it only takes a few months for a computer to lose a significant chunk of its value due to the fact that the technology changes so fast. The money they have to spend to actually get the court order to get the computer, then send someone to pick it up, only to then clear off the hard drive and then try and sell it used for pennies on the dollar, just isn't worth it. My attorney said he'd be shocked if they went through all of that. So far he's been right.
                    Filed Ch. 7 (no asset): 12/30/2008
                    341 Meeting: 01/26/2009
                    Last Date for Objections: 03/27/2009
                    Discharged & Closed: 03/30/2009

Comment

Dell Warranty / Statement of Intention?

I bought a Laptop this January on my DFS Card, then bought World of Warcraft in February, then filed a Chapter 7 on August 21st. I made all the minimum payments & then some ... One Attorney advised me that Dell never repossesses any items ... However, on my Statement of Intention, I listed "Surrender" to Dell.

It's difficult to understand what really is a "purchase-money security interest .." It seems that, more times than not, it's just not worth the time and money to repossess items that have depreciated in value.

My Questions are: Can you change the Statement of Intention and resubmit it, if the Creditor actually does want the property back?

Also, what happens to the 2 Year Warranty on the Laptop? Is it still covered after the Discharge, or must it be Redeemed or Reaffirmed?

Comment

Originally posted by TurnThePage View Post
                        I bought a Laptop this January on my DFS Card, then bought World of Warcraft in February, then filed a Chapter 7 on August 21st. I made all the minimum payments & then some ... One Attorney advised me that Dell never repossesses any items ... However, on my Statement of Intention, I listed "Surrender" to Dell.

It's difficult to understand what really is a "purchase-money security interest .." It seems that, more times than not, it's just not worth the time and money to repossess items that have depreciated in value.

My Questions are: Can you change the Statement of Intention and resubmit it, if the Creditor actually does want the property back?

Also, what happens to the 2 Year Warranty on the Laptop? Is it still covered after the Discharge, or must it be Redeemed or Reaffirmed?
                        This is what I would use to define chutzpah! I certainly would advise against sending in your laptop for warranty repair!
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Well i bought 2 TV's and a camcorder end of 2008-begining of 2009 and so far i havent heard anything. My 341 is on thursday and im not even sure when people start hearing from creditors who want to reposses anyway. Is there a time limit for coming to get stuff?

Comment

I am wondering about that. I have a pre 341 appt with my attorney next week and I will ask him about my Dell account. I purchased a basic computer (not on the top of the line) for $700 last April and made payments til I stopped in August and filed. The balance on the Dell is under $600. I am not sure if Dell wants my computer back or not, have not heard anything yet from them. Should be interesting to find out. Well, this computer I have got for some reason, the operating system got "blown" up either through a boot in configuration problem or a corrupted start up file was missing. I was going to get this fixed, but had to file BK right away so that has been on hold (getting the computer fixed). If Dell wants this computer back, then I will tell them you got a blown up OS on this computer
                            Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
                            Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

I bought a Dell Laptop in Nov 2008 and currently owe $750 on it. When I filed this past tuesday my lawyer told me it is best to play "chicken" with them. He said that if they want it back tell them to "come get it". 99% of the time they just let it go.
                              Filed 9/01/2009
                              341 Scheduled for 10/29/2009 (Smooth )
                              Trustee Report of No Distributions 10/30/2009
                              Actual Discharge 1/12/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X