Just found out might lose job soon,retained lawyer yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found out might lose job soon,retained lawyer yesterday

My husband was just told him and about 15 people will know today if they are being let go next week and they will get a decent severance package.

This just sux as we were going to attempt to fit everything in the 12 grand total of exemptions here in Florida (including tax refund).

Now I have to worry about a severance package and repaying a 401 k loan we took out of stupidity last month within 90 days of him being terminated

I just want to cry, i am so stressed out right now!!

I am at a loss of when to file, what to claim in the exemptions and how to figure this all out. I know I need to time everything accordingly and make sure we do things right, but I am so overwhelmed right now.

How have you all gone through this without losing your minds??

Will the fact that unemployment compensation will be less than our monthly expenses affect the reaffirmation of our apartment lease?

Once the bankruptcy is filed can I get a job to make up the difference of our monthly monies needed even it it is before the 341 meeting?

It is like one thing after another right now.

Any advice, opinions appreciated.

They say you shouldn't file until you have a reasonable plan to not end up back in trouble. Therefore it'd be best to wait until there's a steady source of income there for you and your family, as well as health insurance in place. I know of a few places in Tampa that are hiring, if interested. I'm not sure what line of work your husband is in?
    Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
    341 Meeting: 1/22/09
    Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

I can't speak for everyone, but I have nearly lost my mind. The stress is horrible, and it's probably just going to get worse before my Feb. 18 filing. You don't even want to know what it's doing to my digestive system.

The previous poster has a good point. Until you know where the family's main paycheck post bkr is coming from, you may want to try to hold off. Get free consults with a couple of lawyers familiar with your district and get their opinions.

Try to find time to be good to yourself (in cheap ways!) during this process. And when you accidentally get grumpy with someone for no reason because of the stress, apologize to them as soon as possible.

Good luck.
      I think of my bankruptcy less as "walking away" and more as "gnawing my leg off to get out of a trap".

Comment

Are you being sued? Why the rush? I would take my time check with a attorney for sure.

Don"t stress out. You have plenty of company out here.
        chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Floridagail View Post
          Are you being sued? Why the rush? I would take my time check with a attorney for sure.

Don"t stress out. You have plenty of company out here.
          I'm stressing because we are using a pre-paid legal plan through the job

Comment

How does his potential layoff affect that prepaid legal plan? You will want an attorney that's with you thru the whole process, which will take at least 3-4 months.

Look at it this way. You don't want to rush into filing, and then he gets laid off, ya'll decide you can't afford the Cobra insurance, one of your kids breaks his arm, and then you're stuck with thousands in medical bills that you cannot get rid of. Make sure your foreseeable future is straightened out before you file!! Have an income and have insurance. It's the smartest way. To quote many people on here, bk will only take care of existing debt, it won't fix an income problem.

You've mentioned you are a renter, and that you don't work. Therefore you are essentially judgment proof, so there's no rush. If your husband gets laid off, he too will be judgment proof. If creditors do get judgments against ya'll before you can file BK, they can't execute these judgments due to ya'lls status, and you'll just have to be sure to vacate those judgments in the BK when it's time.

Don't stress!! I know it's easier said than done, but still. Try not to.
            Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
            341 Meeting: 1/22/09
            Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

First things first-stop with the panic attacks. It does you nor anyone else around you any good. This is just business. Eventually, it'll all work out.
              You don't have to reaffirm an apt. lease-just pay your rent on time.
              File when it's right for you-not when your're panic driven.
              Break priorites down to basics. Food, shelter, transportation, utilities and, insurance. Make sure these are taken care of. Stop paying all unsecured debt or anything else you'll discharge in bk.

Comment

Thanx for all the replies.

I am a big stressball, but I will try very hard not to be

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X