Average Attorney Fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average Attorney Fee

Just curious what most people have paid an attorney to do a Chapter 7 filing. I am in Orange County, CA and the attorney I met with today wants to charge $2,200 plus filing fee. I have one asset I am trying to protect.

Hi,

Our attorney charges:
    Ch 7 /joint petition - $1,850.00
    Ch 13 / joint petition - $4,500.
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

When I was shopping for an attorney $2500-3000 seemed about the average for ch 7 in San Diego. I went pro se instead.
      12/05/08 - filed pro se
      01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
      04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
      6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I wouldnt mind going pro se but I have a lawsuit asset I am trying to protect. I know, from working in courts before, its all about relationships. If the trustee knows the attorney well, and they strike a deal, I have a better chance of keeping this asset out of their hands.

Originally posted by blankslate View Post
        When I was shopping for an attorney $2500-3000 seemed about the average for ch 7 in San Diego. I went pro se instead.

Comment

Our attorney is $1,800 plus filing fees. He was actually at the high end of all the "quotes" we got, but I think he was probably just the most honest about what was involved in our case and what it's really going to cost.
          BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Ch.7 $2000-$2500
            Ch.13 $3500-$4000

All of those fees are without mandatory credit counseling courses or filing fees, credit report fees, etc.

Comment

I'm in Northern California
              The attorney charges $2200 plus the Ch. 7 filing fee- which is like $299, so about $2500.
              Since CA bankruptcy law is a little more complicated- i think thats why they charge more than others.
              Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
              341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
              Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
              Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

For that area, (The OC), $2,200 would be about average.

Comment

I paid $1800 total to attorney and then the credit classes seperate.
                  Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                  341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                  Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

$1700 for CH7
                    $2300 for CH13
                    Filed: 10/25/08 (No Assets, CH 7) :blink:
                    341 Meeting: 12/4/08 :aggress:
                    Discharged: 2/3/09 :clapping:
                    Closed: 2/3/09 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by businessisbad View Post
                      I wouldnt mind going pro se but I have a lawsuit asset I am trying to protect. I know, from working in courts before, its all about relationships. If the trustee knows the attorney well, and they strike a deal, I have a better chance of keeping this asset out of their hands.
                      I totally understand that. Mine is pretty cut and dry no asset case. From what I have seen of the court system in this last year it really is all about the relationship between the judge and attorney. Sad. At least you know that going in. I hope your asset is protected and wish you the best through the whole thing.
                      12/05/08 - filed pro se
                      01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
                      04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
                      6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

$1500 including filing fee
                        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                        341 09/17/2008
                        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Mine will also be 1,500 including filing file. I have my first real appointment with him Monday night..Let the games begin.

Comment

Seems like $2,200 is fair then. He was very thorough, 2 hour initial consulation and only charged me $100 but when I sign the retainer he will deduct the $100 from the $2,200. He was upfront about the credit counseling fees being additional. I will use him as he did not rush me, answered all my questions and everytime I have emailed him he replies promptly and answers all my questions. Not a paper mill attorney by any means.

Comment

I'm in TN and mine charged $1669.00 for everything.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X