Pre-discharge classes required???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-discharge classes required???

I am getting really upset here. I am a few hundred dollars away from paying my lawyer and the hits keep coming....

I paid 75.00 for the pre-filing counseling and certificate. The same company now sent me a letter saying that by law I also have to pay for and take a pre-bankruptcy education coarse. WTF????? How much is this going to cost? I have never heard of this before

I have no money. That is why I am filing chapter 7. I have already paid 1300.00 twards this by barely eating for months.

I feel like giving up and dying at this point. Seems like that is what the government wants us to do.

You will have to take the Debtor Education course prior to discharge. That is just the way it is, if you don't do it they will dismiss your case. You don't have to do it until after the 341, it doesn't need to happen now.

Comment

Two classes. One pre-filing, one pre-discharge. I paid 50. and 14. bucks.

Comment

Inpain, did you pay that $75 to your attorney? If so, is it possible that they included both course payments in that $75??

The $75 seems pretty hefty to me for just one course, JMO.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
          Inpain, did you pay that $75 to your attorney? If so, is it possible that they included both course payments in that $75??

The $75 seems pretty hefty to me for just one course, JMO.
          Nope. I paid on my own. My attorney told me about the prefiling thing but not about the second one. I am glad to hear it should not be that much money but still it drives me crazy that this whole thing when done will cost at least 2k. It is a miracle I am coming up with the money because 2k is a lot of money for someone with no disposable income. Yay for ramen noodles

Comment

I'm going to get that certificate/course (pre-filing) by doing an online-session. They are approved for the Florida Middle District and only charge $25.
            Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
            FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
            FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

There is a post filing course, that is 14.95 through 50-30-20.com or something similar.

Search for Debtor education course, and you should find it.

I can't remember the exact name, but someone here should.

It is the best deal I had found on the Financial Management course.

Comment

We payed our attorney $50 and it included both.
                Filed Ch. 13 w/lien strip- 2/5/09
                Converted to Ch. 7- 2/26/09
                341- 4/8/09
                Trustee's Report of No Distribution filed-4/14/09 ; DISCHARGED and CLOSED!!!-6/10/09

Comment

Originally posted by inpain66 View Post
                  I paid 75.00 for the pre-filing counseling and certificate. The same company now sent me a letter saying that by law I also have to pay for and take a pre-bankruptcy education coarse. I have never heard of this before
                  Inpain, I never heard of this before either.

I used InCharge - a non profit - $30.00 for the Pre and $25 for the post filing.

Debt Relief Solutions: Nonprofit Credit Counseling, Debt Management and Debt Consolidation. Helping Millions Become Debt Free Since 1997.
                  jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
                  Filed - 2/27/09
                  341 - 4/3/09
                  Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

I don't know, I would say 14.95 beats 25.00 anytime

Wait, does a straight beat a full house?

OH, and the best thing I liked about this "class" ( they are all pretty lacklustre education wise, but who am I to judge) you can breeze through the course in about 10 minutes and then the page auto refreshes every minute and you can just let it be for the remainder of the 2 hour requirement. NO need to sit in front of the PC for 2 hours.

Comment

I paid 50 for both
                      Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                      341 09/17/2008
                      Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

My pre-filing class was only $35, and my pre-discharge class was the same amount. Don't worry, you will be able to do a discharge class for much less, and it's not due immediately. DON'T go with the same company, they are ripping you off!

edit:

BTW, it's not a bad thing that the government wants to make sure you're educated about what you're doing and what you should do after they wipe your slate clean. It's a good thing. They don't want to have to process another bankruptcy for you again, and this is a way to try to avoid that. I actually learned a lot in my Dave Ramsey pre-discharge class.
                        Filed Chapter 7 12/31/08 341 Meeting 2/3/09 No Asset 2/16/09 Discharged 04/08/09 :)

:yahoo: Closed 04/30/09 :yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X