Question about receipts.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about receipts.....

My attorney told me to take most of my money out of my accounts on paydays; pay with cash or money orders and just save all my receipts.
    Will anyone really want to see all the receipts that I save?
    I am saving them, but was just wondering.

Have you filed yet?

Comment

Turning in paperwork tomorrow, but still owe attorney a few hundred $$, so probaly mid March.

Comment

not much chance anyone will want to see your receipts unless your case is iffy
        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
        341 09/17/2008
        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

hmmm . . . why all the receipts? If you use a debit card--it's all there on your bank statement. Did he recommend this because you're not using a debit card?

Comment

No. I have a debit card and I have no idea why he told me that. Just said have no money in my account (which is really never a problem anyway - haha) and pay in cash.

Comment

Did he want you to have no money in your account at the time of filing or have no money in your account EVER? I haven't heard this before . . .

Comment

It's better to have very little money in your account on the day you file, so I think your attorney is giving you good advice.
                Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Just fyi - the trustee wanted to know why I was taking the money out of my account I told her my attorney advised me to and to use money orders to pay my bills. She told the lady there on behalf of the attorney to tell him to stop telling his clients that as they then have to collect receipts and it is easier to review the bank statements.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
                    Just fyi - the trustee wanted to know why I was taking the money out of my account I told her my attorney advised me to and to use money orders to pay my bills. She told the lady there on behalf of the attorney to tell him to stop telling his clients that as they then have to collect receipts and it is easier to review the bank statements.
                    I stopped having my paychecks deposited into my bank account about a month ago because I was using my checking account to pay all my credit cards with. Since then, I have been keeping all of my receipts, but I think I am going to go open a new checking account on Monday or Tuesday because it is a pain to pay in cash all the time.

I also found out last week that my bank won't cash a check unless I have the same amount of money in my checking account for "just in case". I don't know if that is the case with all banks. I could bring my checks to Walmart and have them cashed, but Walmart isn't exactly close to where I live, so I am going to go with a new bank and a new checking account. When the day comes to file, I will make sure that I have very little in my account.
                    Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
                    341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
                    Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
                    Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Originally posted by WillinVT View Post
                      I stopped having my paychecks deposited into my bank account about a month ago because I was using my checking account to pay all my credit cards with. Since then, I have been keeping all of my receipts, but I think I am going to go open a new checking account on Monday or Tuesday because it is a pain to pay in cash all the time.

I also found out last week that my bank won't cash a check unless I have the same amount of money in my checking account for "just in case". I don't know if that is the case with all banks. I could bring my checks to Walmart and have them cashed, but Walmart isn't exactly close to where I live, so I am going to go with a new bank and a new checking account. When the day comes to file, I will make sure that I have very little in my account.
                      I don't understand why you are going through all that trouble. There is really only one day you need to have a low balance in your accounts. I never stopped my direct deposit and I didn't keep any receipts. I get paid once a month so I filed on the last day of the month. July 31 The day I filed I had $14 in my checking account 12 hours latter I had about 3K. I used my debit card for everything I figured that was enough of a record no one asked me where I was spending my paycheck.
                      Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                      341 09/17/2008
                      Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                        I don't understand why you are going through all that trouble. There is really only one day you need to have a low balance in your accounts. I never stopped my direct deposit and I didn't keep any receipts. I get paid once a month so I filed on the last day of the month. July 31 The day I filed I had $14 in my checking account 12 hours latter I had about 3K. I used my debit card for everything I figured that was enough of a record no one asked me where I was spending my paycheck.
                        Maybe what I am doing is a little overkill, but I don't want some creditor going a head and taking money out of my checking account without authorization. That is why I plan on opening a new account with another bank sometime next week.

As far as what's in my account on the day I file, I will have to wait and see what day my attorney files. I get 6 checks a month from my employer. A base salary check on the 15th and 30th of every month, plus an AWS, Night Shift Premium and Overtime check every Friday.

I guess I should be fine because the state of vermont allows $700 for bank deposits and since my wife is filing with me, that doubles. As long as it isn't filed on the 15th or the 30th, I should be OK. I should be OK anyway because I never have $1400 in my account at one time anyway.
                        Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
                        341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
                        Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
                        Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                          not much chance anyone will want to see your receipts unless your case is iffy
                          True, you will need reciepts to prove anything over the guidelines.

I had to give them a ton of reciepts.
                          Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

This is what I am worried about. When did they ask for the receipts? Before or after the 341? We stopped direct deposit because we were afraid of some CA freezing our accounts. I don't have all receipts. I know i forgot to get some when getting gas etc.
                            FILED CH7: 03/20/09
                            341: May 11th, 2009
                            DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

uh oh

I have been taking money out before gas and grocery
                              I am worried about my card not working at the register

I never worried about that before

I will start saving the reciepts now

we did need to put more down for groceries then the usual

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X