Negotiate 2nd or Heloc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiate 2nd or Heloc?

Hello, has anybody negotiated a 2nd or Heloc down after a chp7? Is it easier to negotiate a 2nd or Heloc before or after a chp7? I want to do a chp7 but also have several loans that need to be modified. Should I wait until discharge or get the loans modified before? Do you have more bargaining power before or after a chp7 with not reaffirming? Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

I think the answer you seek is a bit of a holy grail -- everyone (me included) seems to be looking for someone with luck pulling this off.

Comment

My life would be "unbelievable" if I could get rid of my HELOC.
      Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
      341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
      Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by relief13035 View Post
        My life would be "unbelievable" if I could get rid of my HELOC.
        Ditto
        Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

That stupid HELOC lured me in. Like "here you go ma'am, we want to give you TONS of money, cuz your house is worth so much".......just tape a sign on my head that says "sucker".
          Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
          341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
          Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Ditto times two!
            "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
            Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
            341 Hearing March 4th 2010
            Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

In theory, it would probably be easier to negotiate a HELOC after a chapter 7, because you have discharged your personal liability. Thus, all they have is a lien and thus you could probably negotiate some lump-sum amount to pay them to release the lien.

However, if you won't have access to a lump sum, then you may want to negotiate a reaffirmation agreement "during" the chapter 7.

I haven't seen too many people have any luck negotiating a 2nd or HELOC before chapter 7 and many of the formal modification programs are only for primary mortgages.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                In theory, it would probably be easier to negotiate a HELOC after a chapter 7, because you have discharged your personal liability. Thus, all they have is a lien and thus you could probably negotiate some lump-sum amount to pay them to release the lien.

However, if you won't have access to a lump sum, then you may want to negotiate a reaffirmation agreement "during" the chapter 7.

I haven't seen too many people have any luck negotiating a 2nd or HELOC before chapter 7 and many of the formal modification programs are only for primary mortgages.
                My thoughts exactly. It all depends on how much cash you have.

Comment

My atty just agreed to write a 5500 buyout offer to my bank for my 2nd. (the principal is currently 39k).

Crossing my fingers....!

Man, If this works out, I could approach the lender for my 1st for a rate adjustment...man I just gotta stop thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post

Should you try to negotiate yourself in this case, or have your lawyer do it? In our case, half of the HELOC went to pay off that same bank's VISA - was hoping we could get it to half or less of the balance and pay off (relative would help us if this is possible).
                    Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
                    341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
                    Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
                    Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

oops double post accidentally
                      Last edited by PoorGrammyinBK7; 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Mi View Post
                        My atty just agreed to write a 5500 buyout offer to my bank for my 2nd. (the principal is currently 39k).

Crossing my fingers....!

Man, If this works out, I could approach the lender for my 1st for a rate adjustment...man I just gotta stop thinking about it.
                        Sounds like you are going to try and stay in your home after all Tom, right?

Comment

The problem with having an attorney do it for you is that s/he will not hound the lender and hounding the lender is really what you must do.

I only know of two people who settled junior liens and they were big time proactive calling the lender constantly.

I really don't think a one time letter from an attorney is going to cut it, but, things are changing weekly, so you never know.

Bottom line, though, I would not give up on the first try, or even after that.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorGrammyinBK7 View Post
                            Sounds like you are going to try and stay in your home after all Tom, right?
                            If I can shed the 2nd, we'll stay.

I'm giving the atty a chance to negotiate it because it's a writedown, and I'm worried the bank won't go for that for every average joe that calls.

If this works, I have no problem handling a rework on the 1st loan myself.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X