Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met with Lawyer today

Hello all,

Today my husband and I had our first meeting with the lawyer we selected. I posted last week asking if I should go with a trustee or not. Thanks to all for the advice on that.

We decided on going with the lawyer who was a trustee, not only due to his experience but also because I felt comfortable with him and felt that the fact that he and his sons were trustees would help our case go smoothly.

The meeting went great- he reviewed all 41 pages we filled out and said he thought we were good candidates for Chapter 7. We are below median and had enough wildcard exemptions to be able to keep our two cars and home.

So, we have a few more papers to get in and will hopefully be able to file end of next week. He told me not to pay anymore cards- I have never been late before on any payments, so this will be a first for me I'm a little nervous about that but moreso happy because without paying all those minimums we will actually be able to breathe a bit.

Quick question- we are filing in my name only. We have one card that is jointly in our names. It has a small $3000 balance on it. He said not to pay it and just wait and see what happens. He said since it is in our name, the credit card company might go after my husband. Or, he says, they may write it off and forget about it.

I don't know- will it hurt my husband's credit to ignore that card? Will it hurt his credit if they write off the debt? Should we just put it on our list as a debt that we plan to reaffirm in order to keep my husband's credit clean? Just wondering if anyone has had this situation before?

I will keep in touch and let everyone know how it's going. I am also doing the blog entries for those who are interested.
    Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
    341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
    Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

If the cc is joint, and you default it'll show as a chargeoff on your husbands reports. If the goal is to have one spouse with clean credit then, he needs to stay current on anything in his name.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X