top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Published in the paper! So humiliating....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Published in the paper! So humiliating....

Wow. I was told that most likely no one would know about my bankruptcy besides my attorney, creditors and ppl i chose to tell. Well little did I know that we have a local paper that publishes bankruptcys! I filed last friday and the next day there I was! Even worse, I actually found out from people that called to tell me about the ad. I know this is public record but now I am thinking does my doctor, my co workers, my husbands coworkers and everyone else know? I am so humiliated.
    From this day on I move FORWARD!!!
    Filed Chapter 7 on 3/20/09!
    Discharged 6/2009

Where does it appear in the paper? We just filed Friday but I have never seen it posted in our paper for anybody else.
    FILED CH7: 03/20/09
    341: May 11th, 2009
    DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

It was filed in the business section of the paper. Loud and clear under bankruptcy! It was a press tribune type of paper. Ugh...... now to get over my mental state
      Discharged 6/2009

Comment

Originally posted by novayalife View Post
        It was filed in the business section of the paper. Loud and clear under bankruptcy! It was a press tribune type of paper. Ugh...... now to get over my mental state
        Surprised they got it in the paper so fast. Also surprised people actually look at who's in there. I wouldn't worry about it. What made you file bk? I'm so happy to rid of all the stupid cc's and CA's who think they will show me.
        FILED CH7: 03/20/09
        341: May 11th, 2009
        DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

Sorry to hear that!! Think of it this way though, some of them who are reading it are probably thinking to themselves, "WOW - someone is getting a fresh start - I envy them."
          In today's economy I wouldn't doubt it.

Keep the head up! Your Debt to Income Ratio is much better than theirs (wink).
          Good luck in the process!!
          Filed: 01/23/08
          341 Meeting: 02/29/08
          Discharged: 04/30/08
          Closed: 05/12/08

Comment

Oh, that sucks! I thought that your attorney decides what paper to publish you bk in? I'm sure I'm wrong...I live in a small town, so I'm sure there will be lots of gossip soon Oh well, I guess I'm glad that my family doesn't live nearby! Hey, at least you are doing something about your debt...I'm sure a LOT of people are in the same boat (in your town) and are just to embarrassed to file for BK.
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

It really is only humilating because you let it be. I am willing to bet, that if you really wanted to search through old newspapers, about 2 in 10 people you mention have filed BK them self.
              Last edited by HHM; 03-25-2009, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Wow. I was told that most likely no one would know about my bankruptcy besides my attorney, creditors and ppl i chose to tell. Well little did I know that we have a local paper that publishes bankruptcys! I filed last friday and the next day there I was! Even worse, I actually found out from people that called to tell me about the ad. I know this is public record but now I am thinking does my doctor, my co workers, my husbands coworkers and everyone else know? I am so humiliated.
                Sorry to hear that. I'm sure most people didnt even see it. Even if someone did, it's okay. No one is perfect and you know chances are some people that read it are in similar situations and just dont have the courage to go through bk.
                I had my old neighbors judge me and my husband b/c of our bk and we laugh now cuz they're up tp their head in debt and oh yeah still live in tiny townhome with a shitty loan (we had the same loan and townhome) and now we have a house (rent to own) which is 3 times bigger and no debt and are able to sleep now w/o worrying about all those bills we could not afford.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your two cents and incouragement. Its just hard because I never thought we would be in this predicament. I know its esp hard for dh as he works for a huge financial company and is boss to 30 plus employees. We filed a chapter 7 and 341 meeting is scheduled in just a couple of weeks. I am so nervous! What if the trustee is just out to get us or make an example? What if we get kicked out of our house before we have any $ saved up, and what if no one will accept renters here with a bk on ur credit? I think I need a break from reality. Hawaii anyone?
                  Discharged 6/2009

Comment

Hopefully your name falls in the middle of the listings, as most people only remember the first and last(Psych class). Also I hope its a larger city. where I live you would be considered a minority if you hadn't had a bk. LOL. Its pretty bad here south of detroit. The running joke in detroit is " the last one out, please shut off the lights".

Comment

WOW, thats pretty nervy of people to call you up about it. I would never do anyting like that. ut, then I believe that the people are caling you cause they are so damn noisy and have need something to talk about.

Nothing seems to amazed me anymore with people.....

Comment

nova, I am so sorry to hear that. I mean I know they say it is a matter of public but it rarely happens.

Is this town really hard-up for stuff to print?

I know it is hard and many members here have said this to me many times: filing BK was a personal business decision for you. Think of it that way, did you see the list of all of the famous folks who had filed BK (Abraham Lincoln and the rest), also life's events no matter how prepared you think you are can turn on a dime and you end up having to do this.

In this economy many many folks are approaching life in a way in which they never thought they'd have to. Please go on with your head up, and if anyone is judging you, then they are doing so out of their own fears.
                        Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
                        Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
                        341 Meeting 01/05/2009
                        Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

So long as my wife, family and friends respect me I could not care less how the rest of the world chooses to judge me. Life is so much easier to enjoy when we don't worry about things we have no control over like who might have seen the notice.
                          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Nova, when we stop caring so much about everybody else's opinion about what is going on in our lives, we will be some much happier people. You realize that you are doing what you have to for your family and that is most impotant. If they really cared, they should have been coughing up some dollars to help you out and don't be surprised they some of them will follow in your footsteps because they have not been brave enough to do it but know that they need to do it. BK is what it is, it is a second chance, a breath of fresh air, tension out of your body and stress out of your life for now. Gives you an oppty. to focus and bring clarity to how you proceed with the next steps in your life, your decision making process will be better because you don't have all that pressure now. We told our families not because we had to but because we love them and we are all close and we knew they couldn't help us financially but the support has been awesome and we are not devastated by this and that is what you should care about and not the paper and not the coworkers and others who might see it. Don't see yourself as less now because you had to file, see yourself as brave, confident and now, in control and leave it at that. OK?

Hearts

Comment

I would respond: "you actually check to see who is filing bankruptcy"? "Why?"

You take the heat off of you and place right back on their shoulders to explain why they check and feel the need to call you

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X