Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Buckeye State (OHIO) Thread

Welcome to the OHIO thread.

I am in Toledo ohio and was curious if anybody has any experience with the BK court here or other parts of Ohio. I expect there will be many people joining from my area, as the Unemployment rate is around 14% and looks to get worse.

1.) How much did your lawyer cost You? And was he any good?
    2.) How long did it take?
    3.) Any troubles?
    4.) Any advesarial objections from CC companies?
    5.) Any tips or hints you care to share?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. You know us Ohio people need to stick together
    New paved Highway, Smooth as Silk
    23.08%
    Dirt road, A little bumpy and slow, but ya still get there in 1 piece
    65.38%
    Toledo Streets, Full of Pot holes, ya get there but the ride sucked.
    3.85%
    Michigan Highway, Pure Hell, always under construction a scared for your life
    7.69%

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post

I am in Toledo ohio and was curious if anybody has any experience with the BK court here or other parts of Ohio. I expect there will be many people joining from my area, as the Unemployment rate is around 14% and looks to get worse.

3.) Any troubles?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. You know us Ohio people need to stick together
    My case was filed in the Southern District of OH(Columbus). I'm not sure what the unemployment rate is here, but it is steadily growing. I'm in a Ch 13. The total cost of my attorney was $3000. $500 was the retainer fee, and the other $2500 was rolled into my plan. I haven't had any problems with my attorney, but I have with the paralegal. When I first filed, the interest rate on my vehicle was 21%. My attorney fought and got it dropped to 8%. I guess I can say that I'm happy with him.
    Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
    Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Nicollette View Post
      My case was filed in the Southern District of OH(Columbus). I'm not sure what the unemployment rate is here, but it is steadily growing. I'm in a Ch 13. The total cost of my attorney was $3000. $500 was the retainer fee, and the other $2500 was rolled into my plan. I haven't had any problems with my attorney, but I have with the paralegal. When I first filed, the interest rate on my vehicle was 21%. My attorney fought and got it dropped to 8%. I guess I can say that I'm happy with him.
      I hear ch13 is more than ch7. I am going the 7 route as I am still trying to find employment. I just want a fresh start. I have heard ch 7 attorneys charge around 1k in toledo area. Lucas county and the two counties next to us are the highest unemployment in ohio, and the 3 michigan county directly above us are the worst in michigan (around 17%). So many people are looking its just too hard to find anything.

Comment

My attorney charged $800 and then $299 filing fee. We are in Sandusky County, had to go to Toledo for our hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbone33 View Post
          My attorney charged $800 and then $299 filing fee. We are in Sandusky County, had to go to Toledo for our hearing.
          Was he worth it?

Thats about what I have heard, some beeing a lot higher, but most being around a $1000. My case should be simply, no assets (house is going)I am keeping the car, but its under the allowance of $3500. My only concern is on of the 10 CC will challenge me. My balances aren't super high. only 2 over 5k.(14,7). no huge recent charges (>500) and 1 balance transfer of 2250(made since, lower rate and halved the payment).

Comment

We just filed chapter 7 today. So far we have paid our lawyer $1740. We are in the Southern distict. I am a nervous wreck. We are surrendering one car and our house. Our hearing is scheduled for mid May. My lawyer says everything on our paperwork seems cut and dried and not to expect any problems but as many of you already know, problems seem to be a part of our world. What I want to know is, how deep do the trustees dig? Do they investigate things or just assume your attorney has already done that? Also, our home loan is with B of A. How long will it take them to kick us out after the discharge? Thanks for any input.

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post

3.) Any troubles?

I live in Toledo as well and I assure you the BK courts are busy and the BK lawyers are seeing record profits. As for the rest of your questions....

1. $999 including filing fee's, I did a lot of research and I think I stumped him several times with my questions. I almost felt I knew more than he did.

2. From the day I filed to discharge was about 4 months...to close, well still waiting but looks like a couple more weeks. (Tax refund caused me to be an asset case)

3. The only trouble I had was self generated through worry, self-humiliation, anguish, embarassment and finally I think too much.

4. Unless you defrauded someone, made too much money, hid assets or listed a pissed off family member (or ex) as a creditor, no one will show up.

5. Tips, yeah...you're here already, I only wish I found it before I filed.....and don't worry about it. If you can understand legaleze, research, research and research.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X