CA Exemption related to cash and Social sec benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Exemption related to cash and Social sec benefit

Can't find any comments on clarifiying this issue so will try it here. It appears from reading the CA System 2 of exemptions (and a few other comments elsewhere) that cash that is in your assets list that was earned via your soc security monthly income is covered by the exemptions under public benefits? Anybody understand this one well enough to offer a comment either way. If so, it would even leave more assets for use with the wild card... It is 80% of my income so seems easy to give any cash that designation.

A second question comes to mind - the cash value of a Whole Life policy - small in my case - is that covered by the Insurance exemptions?

I have tried to find the place where the actual verbage of the law site fo reach of the exemptions in calif is but no luck....guess since we are expected to reference those numbers we should be able to read them in detail? Anybody have a good link for the CA code?

Also asked a question on Hardship for old guys on SLs under that link so if any one wnats to check it out and comment I'd love it....I'm a newbie here so there might be a better way of doing this but I'll learn.

Comments?

Thx, Gary
    Last edited by Polydad; 04-05-2009, 09:50 PM.

Social Security is exempt (also exempt from judgements/garnishments) and whole life insurance up to a certain amount.. "Unmatured life insurance contract accrued avails to $9,300"

look here....
    California bankruptcy exemptions. Find out the property you can keep after filing bankruptcy in California.

Comment

Follow-up on SS /cash question

Chad9162, thanks, that's a chart with a little more detail but the portion about social security reads a bit different between System 1 and 2. I'm gonna be a 2 so any assurance that it means the same about cash in bank from my SS check? Wonder why they wrote it different?

On the life insurance cash value I was looking for the definition by finding the code referenced but couldn't find the written code....so the "unmatured" would refer to my cash value...it is under $4,000 so looks like I can use the exempt label for it.

Gary

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X