No announcement yet.

BK vs Charge Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chad9162 a Ch 7 stays for 10 years from the date of your bk discharge. My friend has not completed the full 10 years yet so the bk is still on his credit report AND my point being is that there is life and credit after a bk.
    Ch 7 filed: 3/30
    341: 5/12
    Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

Our Attorney told my husband and I filing Bankruptcy would benefit our Credit Scores, instead of negotiating with the Credit Cards.

He also stated if we did negotiate with them, we would receive a 1099 for the difference and have to pay taxes.

We met with out Attorney in late Sept. 08 and stopped paying credit cards immediately. When the credit cards companies started calling, I just gave them our Attorney's name, address and phone number. Then, I told them something I shouldn't have...said we would be filing Chapter 7 in Feb. 09.

Our Attorney didn't look at our total income and I received A Settlement in February, so we are going to file Sept. 09 using Mar-Aug income.

The calls started again in early March. This time, I had a good excuse...diagnosed with skin cancer. Told them such and all of them again were very nice and again, gave them Attorney's name, address and phone number.

I have received two collection letters. When I got the first one, I faxed it to our Attorney. He emailed me back and stated for $60 he could file something in Court which would give us time to get our Bankruptcy filed.

I know we've paid back what we charged plus some. So why would I won't to negotiate with them and get stuck paying additional monies (Federal & State taxes) when I've already paid them?

Like someone said on this message board. Filing bankruptcy is a Business Decision and I've lived by that phrase ever since. I know longer cry or worry. I'm planning our Bankruptcy! Peace? I've got it. Phone Calls? I answer them if I'm not in pain due to my disability.

FICO scores? there are So MANY more people filing Bankruptcy than ever before in our History. I believe there will be some new system put in place for Credit Reports and FICO unless the Federal Government bails out all the Credit Card Companies, which I Pray doesn't happen. That's just my opinion.

Peace of Mind? Hubby is an Over The Road Truck Driver, so it would be Me negotiating with Credit Cards Cos. IMHO, I think it is easier to handle the phone calls for non-payment, than to go back & forth, back & forth in Negotiations and pay out more monies.

Luci

Comment

a good lawyer can make all the difference in the world.... my first lawyer that i gave 100 bucks to for advice, really steered me wrong... he said he could get me a 7 and i could keep all my stuff... he gave me some really bogus advice... i would have gladly taken a 7 at that point..

when i got a second opinion, i realized that id been hosed... he said to get ready to be fitted with a striped suit, because i was going to debtors prison in a 13..

after what i have learned here on this forum, i realize the first lawyer was sniffing glue!
        "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

Comment

WILL I think you will agree...having money allows you to buy more credit and improve your scores quicker.

CHAD mine is an educated guess...I think HHM could come in, or someone else and be more clear. Here's a small example...lets say I sell a collector car for $50,000 (no I did not) on January 1st. There is a question in this process as to whether you have sold any vehicles in the last 6 months....well four months out (beyond the 3 you mentioned) you have to claim it. 7 months out I am guessing you don't. If there is anything that sends up a red flag, the trustee can break out the microscope and ask for a couple years back...

But again if there aren't any large holes in your story, or if they don't look at your tax returns and say...hey where's that $70k mortgage account you closed out in January they will just ask for the 2-3 months...again...educated guess.
          $70k- Unsecured Debt
          $88k- Secured Debt (HELOC/2nd)
          $200k- Land investment gone bad. (Land secured)
          1st- $366k / House Value- $300k

Comment

ok no one got this??? Or am I missing something

Originally posted by BKINAZ View Post
            Again...I think that is where my question is coming from. Your friend is 9 yrs into it and still has credit issues. I can't help but believe I would cut that in half by settling and not filing 7? Also...again we can't file till Jan '09 so the stress we would be saving by filing would be amped up by waiting so long to file.
            You say you can't file til Jan. 09? Didn't that come and go already? Unless I'm living in the twilight zone, this is April 09....

Comment

Ooooh...good catch columbo. lol
              $70k- Unsecured Debt

Comment

I filed chapter 7 in '97, discharged in early '98, did a little do-it-yourself credit repair and got rid of all the negatives and the BK on all 3 credit reports within about 5 years. Got new credit cards from all the lenders I listed on my BK except for Amex, they don't want to play with me anymore, though I do have a corp card thru work with them.

BK is by far the best of the bad options, that is to say, paying less than in full.

Credit reporting really is the tail wagging the dog. I consider my major default as "monetizing" my credit score. :-)
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

yep, i guess i failed to factor in the big buck thing... if you are making big bucks, you can recover very quickly... im sure that the 35k that in ruining me, is just beer money for a lot of you...
                  "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

Comment

CAT interesting...thanks for the post.
                    $70k- Unsecured Debt

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X