Schedule J Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule J Please help!

we are getting ready to file BK. Today our lawyer sent us a letter stating that we our income to expense surplus is over $900. Now when we worked out these numbers in the office I might have missed something. We live in illinois and have one child, filing jointly. Let me know what we might have missed or what might seem incorrect. Because now I'm getting worried this seems like a large gap. He said we need to make it less then $100. OUCH

Mortgage 1277
    electric and gas 275
    water 35
    telephone 145
    cable internet 145
    home maintenance 60
    food 400
    clothing 140
    medical dental 30
    auto transport 350
    recreation club 100
    auto insurance 125
    2nd mortgage 472
    car 358
    cleaning paper work
    supplies 100
    diapers 50
    union dues 27

I added a few things but we are still at 741 surplus about $650 to go.
    i'm at 4089 and the income is 4830. Oh no. What can I do?
    We plan on filing in may. Would getting extra expenses now throw red flags (lower deductable on insurance, raise minutes on phone) I just don't know what to do now.

Food seems low at 400 for a family of 3. Do you have any life insurance you're paying premiums on? Home maintenance at 60 looks low as well, I had mine at 130 based on some things i knew needed to be fixed.
    pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
    filed ch7 6-12
    341 7-25
    Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

We have weird expenses like water softner salt which is about $50 a month we have a pool and that cost about $20 a month for upkeep. School books are not free in Indiana and school lunches. Medical and Dental at $30 seems low to me. My husband is a dentist and a broken tooth is costly along with a RX that might need filled for a illness. Even with insurance that adds up. We have a large yard so fuel for the mower is alot also.

Comment

What about dr co payments? Or how about contacts/glasses, things you don't purchase monthly? I agree with pa308, your food expense and home maintenance is too low.
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Go here http://www.legalconsumer.com/ and run through the test.
          It may surprise you. I was using $800 for food but this form said the federal norm was 1370, wow what a difference.
          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
            Go here http://www.legalconsumer.com/ and run through the test.
            It may surprise you. I was using $800 for food but this form said the federal norm was 1370, wow what a difference.
            Whoooa, $1370 in food expense? How many in your family?

I PM'ed you.
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Oops, family of 4 in California.
              11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
                Oops, family of 4 in California.
                Gotcha, that includeds a couple of other catagories too (clothing, household supplies, etc) I thought I was missing out on something!
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Thank you for your help. I will add more to food and home maintenance I will go through all my medical bills that I had to pay last year to avarage out and get an idea of what I paid, I know it was more. . I'm hoping to talk to my lawyer today to ask his advice. Also I noticed that the monthly income for my husband on the schedule I seemed higher. Do you multiply the weeks pay by more then four to determine a mont. He makes 1582 gross and would come out to 6328 for the month but he has it as 6803. It seems like he multiplied by 4.3. I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by anussia View Post
                    Thank you for your help. I will add more to food and home maintenance I will go through all my medical bills that I had to pay last year to avarage out and get an idea of what I paid, I know it was more. . I'm hoping to talk to my lawyer today to ask his advice. Also I noticed that the monthly income for my husband on the schedule I seemed higher. Do you multiply the weeks pay by more then four to determine a mont. He makes 1582 gross and would come out to 6328 for the month but he has it as 6803. It seems like he multiplied by 4.3. I'm confused.
                    It sounds like he gets paid every 2 weeks. That results in 26 paychecks per year, rather than 24.
                    Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
                    341 Meeting: 1/7/09
                    Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
                    Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

CAn you deduct car registration?

I don't own a car , so not sure, but that seems like an allowable expense, you have to have a registered car to drive.

Comment

No he gets paid every week.

Comment

Originally posted by anussia View Post
                          Just one thing. Your lawyer will try to walk a fine line in telling you what your expenses can/should be. So much of J will be on you. That was my experience and where this forum was most helpful.

Seems he may have taken the weekly x 52 divided by 12
                          pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
                          filed ch7 6-12
                          341 7-25
                          Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

I didn't see health insurance..did I miss it? You can always get life insurance (someone else mentioned) for a while and then drop it later.
                            Also increase your auto for awhile and redue it later...You can hike stuff up now and after BK lower it back..
                            Its a game we have to play sometimes to make it work

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X