Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing my Chapter 7 papers tomorrow

Hi all,

I am glad I found this forum with lots of very active users and current advice and questions.

I am going to my lawyer tomorrow to sign the Chapter 7 papers to begin filing (I guess it is actually called a petition right?).

I have no assets and I am unemployed and all my debt is credit card ($32,000). I am also putting my cell phone down as a creditor because I don't want to pay for it anymore - it is too expensive and I hardly use the thing. My lawyer said I could do that.

I hope my case will be very easy. I don't think there is anything to mess it up.

I am keeping a blog on my feeling and details of my experiences with this.

Anyhow, it is very helpful reading the posts here esp about the 341 meeting. I am nervous about that thing! I have never been to court before.

I am just wondering that once you officially file how long does it take before you see that your credit card accounts are closed or "flagged" - for me, I am wondering when my cell phone will be shut off (only because I will be getting a cheapie pre-pay and I am trying to get some kind of an idea about time).

For those that are unemployed and filing, did you lawyer tell you not to get any job until the bankruptcy is closed? I just wondering when one could be free to work again - I guess I have to wait until the whole thing is over?

I am sure I will have more questions, issues before my 341 too.

thanks!
    "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
    http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
    1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Ms. Queenie: In a nutshell, sign, get a number, about a month to 341, five minutes (or so) and wait 60 days. If this is right in what you said, I am fairly close to what happens. ‘Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by queenfluff View Post
      Hi all,

I am glad I found this forum with lots of very active users and current advice and questions.

I am going to my lawyer tomorrow to sign the Chapter 7 papers to begin filing (I guess it is actually called a petition right?). that's right

I have no assets and I am unemployed and all my debt is credit card ($32,000). I am also putting my cell phone down as a creditor because I don't want to pay for it anymore - it is too expensive and I hardly use the thing. My lawyer said I could do that.

I hope my case will be very easy. I don't think there is anything to mess it up.

I am keeping a blog on my feeling and details of my experiences with this.

Anyhow, it is very helpful reading the posts here esp about the 341 meeting. I am nervous about that thing! I have never been to court before.
      It's not big deal and it really is in a court room. The penal trustee is a local lawyer. If you have no assets and have been honest on your petition the meeting will take less time then it took for you to start this thread
      I am just wondering that once you officially file how long does it take before you see that your credit card accounts are closed or "flagged" - for me, I am wondering when my cell phone will be shut off (only because I will be getting a cheapie pre-pay and I am trying to get some kind of an idea about time).

For those that are unemployed and filing, did you lawyer tell you not to get any job until the bankruptcy is closed? I just wondering when one could be free to work again - I guess I have to wait until the whole thing is over?
      Yes if I worked at all it would have put me into a chapter 13

I am sure I will have more questions, issues before my 341 too.

thanks!
      Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask away.
      Chapter 7 07/30/2008
      341 09/17/2008
      Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Good luck and God Bless.
        Scared to file. Scared not to file.

Comment

Think of your 341 meeting as doctor appointment, go in answer few dumb questions in my opinion, is the petition true. Leave with fresh start. That what it felt like to me. Small room (not a courtroom) with few people waiting for their turn. MY case Lady Trustee wanting to rush thru it all, attorney making small talk with her. I worried for nothing. Good luck dont worry.
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Thanks everyone for the greetings and replies!

For the 341, are there a basic set of questions that everyone gets asked no matter what? Or is it different for every individual case?
            1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Originally posted by queenfluff View Post
              Thanks everyone for the greetings and replies!

For the 341, are there a basic set of questions that everyone gets asked no matter what? Or is it different for every individual case?
              it might be different on each state but my state(maryland), I was waiting about 2 hours since there was snow delay..full of people, attorneys..Trustee as same set of questions .. If there is something odd, then Trustee ask questions, ask more paper works but everything is standard..my meeting(front of all these filers) took less than 5 min.

Comment

Originally posted by pcnet21 View Post
                it might be different on each state but my state(maryland), I was waiting about 2 hours since there was snow delay..full of people, attorneys..Trustee as same set of questions .. If there is something odd, then Trustee ask questions, ask more paper works but everything is standard..my meeting(front of all these filers) took less than 5 min.
                Thanks! I am in Wisconsin. I signed all the papers today. I think he is officially filing next week to clear a few additional cc things even though they really aren't cause for concern. I should find out about the 341 next week. He said it will be in June.

My lawyer went over the 341 a bit with me. He said they will ask about stuff on the form (questionairre) that I filled out. The only thing my lawyer is concerned about is the fact that I have moved a few times in the last three years. I am not sure of the details but I think it has something to do with that I want to be able to claim Wisconsin exemptions (whatever that means). Anyone familiar with this? I post a new thread on it I think.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X