top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is too much for a good attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much for a good attorney?

I've been doing my research and have talked to a few attorneys already. The one who seems the best (and who is also a panel trustee which i consider a very significant advantage) said that for my case, which is rather complicated, he would charge $3-4k. This is significantly more than many others charge but I feel like it is probably worth the expense as I know he will be good and I have non-exempt assets that need disposing of anyway before the BK. What do you think, should I negotiate or do I not want to piss him off as the money I'm paying him with wouldn't be mine after the BK anyway?

Depends what you need him for and where you live oh and how much money you have . My case is simply. I got a good one for $695+ filing fees. But she was a friend of my lawyer's and she gave me a 100 off. I live in Toledo Ohio, but that is still considered cheap. Now if she screws it up, then yes 1500 or 2000 might seem like a bargain.

It can never hurt to ask. I always bring competition into the equation as that usually lowers prices, Economics man!!

Comment

1500 is what i paid
      having an attorney that is also a trustee can have disadvantages. If your case is cut and dry then no problem BUT if your case gets IFY then i would not want a trustee for an attorney. He may be hesitant to take on the UST
      Chapter 7 07/30/2008
      341 09/17/2008
      Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I agree with TEW. I would NOT use an Attorney who is a Trustee.

Our Attorney (filing jointly) charged us $1300, but that does not include the Pre Bankruptcy Class and the other Class you have to take after you file for Bankruptcy.

The Pre Bankruptcy Class was $50, but we had to delay our Bankruptcy and will have to take it again, which was a 10 minute phone conversation.

There are some free classes out there for Pre and Post Bankruptcy Classes. You can google your State's Bankruptcy site and find out which ones they will accept.

Luci

Comment

Our atty charged more than the norm but we have met with that atty three times preparing for the bk. I believe the higher price provided more one on one time with the atty.

Like you I had non exempt business assets that needed to be liquidated. Our atty put together a time line dictating when things needed to be completed and in what order. Working within the atty's guideline we properly positioned ourselves going into the bk. Not having that professional advice would have penalized us and it took months of prep work to get ready.

As someone else pointed out the trustee issue makes me nervous. I don't know that I would want someone who has a close working relationship with the UST. Our atty has one goal- to protect our interests in the bk process. I would interview a couple more attys and see if you can't find another top notch atty who doesn't do trustee work. If you know a good atty personally I highly recommend you grit your teeth and contact them. This is your best source for finding a top notch bk atty.
          Ch 7 filed: 3/30
          341: 5/12
          Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

I just came back from an atty. I did sign. Not sure if I should have but negotiating is not a strong point of mine. He is the partner of a well known firm in the area. $3450. Chapter 13 . That includes all court costs, class costs, etc. We are looking to file in August since I just used a charge card. I just hope I can save up his fee by then. He said to continue to pay car and home and utilities so I am only cutting my epenses by $900 a month.

Comment

TEW is right. I would not hire an attorney that is also a panel Trustee. If your case has any issues at all your attorney will lean toward the Trustee's side rather than representing you to his fullest capacity. It's human nature. The Trustee position is a long term position, you are just one case.

Get a good attorney that represents debtors and fights for the debtor's side.
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

MY atty is a dumba$$..lol

I originally went to my atty about a 10 yr old credit card that was sueing me..for a lrge amount.right before statute of limitations. By the time I left he talked me into chapter 13 to get out of it, I also had some taxes , small stuff.. He told me it was $850. I gave him $500. I soon noticed after I was making payments that on the website I monitor my BK to trustee, https://www.13datacenter.com , that in the one year Ive been in the plan , trustee has paid an additional $2,900. to my atty. Now it could be because Ive had to see him about once a month for modifications etc. that hes adding on.. But he is an absolute scatterbrain.. I have to learn all I need to know off the internet and go in and tell him whats up.. he hasnt got a clue.. I cant wait to get out of this BK hell.. worse thing I ever did.

Comment

Wow thanks for all of the insight on the trustee issue. I thought they would just be more knowledgeable and experienced but I definitely see the other side of that argument now. My biggest issue is that I am out of state for the next month and can't seem to find attorneys that are willing to do a phone consultation. I could just wait but I have questions like IRA contributions, what do with other non-exempt assets, etc that I need some answers on before I get back. Does anyone know a good BK attorney in SC?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X