Am I being impatient here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being impatient here?

I dropped everything off to my lawyer about 2 months ago. About 1 month ago (well exactly 1 month ago) I went in and we went through everything and I signed. The bk asst said they file electronically once a week blah blah and as soon as the lawyer signs off on it, I'll be filed. I was assuming that would be a week, maybe 2. Here we are 4 weeks later and still no file. Well, I am guessing no filing yet because I check pacer every day and haven't seen my name come up. I've called the lawyers office a couple of times and they do not respond. I realize they are very busy and I don't want to be a pest. I know they can't call with every update. I am good with that but all I want to know is if its filed! I leave that on the voicemail and nothing, nada, zip back from them. I email thinking all they have to do is reply but still nothing! UGHHHHHHH am I being impatient or what here?!?
    Filed CH 7 05/06/09
    341 06/12/09
    Last day for objections 08/11/09
    Discharged and CLOSED!! 08/28/09

Originally posted by imoverit View Post
    I dropped everything off to my lawyer about 2 months ago. About 1 month ago (well exactly 1 month ago) I went in and we went through everything and I signed. The bk asst said they file electronically once a week blah blah and as soon as the lawyer signs off on it, I'll be filed. I was assuming that would be a week, maybe 2. Here we are 4 weeks later and still no file. Well, I am guessing no filing yet because I check pacer every day and haven't seen my name come up. I've called the lawyers office a couple of times and they do not respond. I realize they are very busy and I don't want to be a pest. I know they can't call with every update. I am good with that but all I want to know is if its filed! I leave that on the voicemail and nothing, nada, zip back from them. I email thinking all they have to do is reply but still nothing! UGHHHHHHH am I being impatient or what here?!?
    Hmm, I have just signed my papers so I am no expert but if it was me I would march into the office and ask what is going on. I mean, yeah, I would be impatient too. BK can be a matter of timing too. My lawyer told me yesterday that once it is filed (which should be next week) that I will received a letter that same week about the 341 meeting.

Lot of BK lawyers are busy right now. I am lucky mine said it was slowing down when I started out a few weeks ago so I got in at a good time. But 4 weeks sounds like a long time to me. I am known for being impatient myself so I don't think you are being impatient at all nor a pest. I mean, this is a big deal for someone to do and you should know what is happening with your case - considering you have paid and everything. (you did the filing fee I assume). It is your life and your money so don't wait until it is too late to find out what is up. If it was me, I would call every damn day, several times a day until someone got sick of me and called me back.

I don't know how the pacer works and I am sure others will have more insight than me. But if I were you I would be walking right into the office if noone answered my calls at all, demanding to know what is with my case - But than again, I don't like to be ignored so I am stubborn on that point. Nobody ignores me.

Keep us updated on what is really happening.
    "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
    http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
    1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Something is seriously wrong here.
      Electronic filing is just that and they can do it anytime they want to.
      Our attorney had us sign the paperwork and his assistant filed it right away and gave us our case number while we waited.
      You may however want to check your own credit rating and see if you are filed yet. All 3 of the major agencies showed our filing within a matter of 3-4 days.
      But at 4 weeks if you have not got a letter yet from a trustee about your 341 meeting I suspect you are correct and your attorney is not doing what he is paid to do.

Comment

Did you pay the attorney yet? If so, I would see if you get your money returned since they have done nothing for you yet and go to another BK attorney. This is only the beginning of the process and I would hate to see how they are on the more difficult issues. Filing is the easiest thing for them to do.
        Filed C7: 12/16/08; 341 Meeting: 1/22/09
        Last Day for Objections: 3/23/09 (No Objections)
        Discharged: 4/3/09
        Closed: 3/23/10

Comment

One more issue, because it has been a month since you turned in the paperwork they now need updated info! I would be in their office first thing tomorrow morning to either get filed or get a refund. A month is too long.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

That is WAYYYY too long to wait.
            Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
            341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
            Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Agree.

Sure, BK attorneys are busy, we all are. If they are taking on too much work, they need to hire more people or not take the extra case loads.

What really is ignorant, is not taking the time to answer an email or voice mail when someone is asking about the time of filing.

I do not believe you should pester the hell out of a lawyer with every minor detail, but he should be answering you on the time of filing.

Show up at his office.

My attorney's paralegal sat with me and did the paperwork on the computer, (no packet taken home), and it was filed the next day.

Comment

OK......still nothing! I finally got through to them about 10 days ago and they said lawyer was in court and still needed to review files blah blah and still nothing!!!!!!!! I am going mental over this seriously...I am usually a very calm together gal, but this lack of movement on this case is seriously pushing me to the edge! How do I get them, in a nice way, to get this f***ing filed... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... this lawyer came recommended, anyone reading this PLEASE go to more than one attorney!!!!!!
                Filed CH 7 05/06/09
                341 06/12/09
                Last day for objections 08/11/09
                Discharged and CLOSED!! 08/28/09

Comment

I would go directly to their office and demand to know what is going on.
                  Filed 5/29/09
                  Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

Did you go to the office yet?

If not, get your buns over there and slam your fists on the desk. Maybe you should camp out on the doorstep and invite the news crews over? (he he...just joking there!)

Yeah, don't wait like this. Get them to pay attention to you! Did you pay this dude yet? If not, maybe you might want to look for someone else.

My lawyer was supposed to file mine last week and I hadn't heard anything so I called today and found out that it wasn't filed yet (grumble!) and the secretary got back to me that it will be filed this week and I will have a case number by Friday. Looking at one my of cc's charges I think I see now why he waited a bit - to clear a few more charges - which is fine but yeah, it so sucks to wait like this. At least, I am HOPING that is why he waited and that he hadn't just forgotten about me and I called today and he realized he forgot to file me. I think it is the former but at least I am getting some action now.

My advice (if you didn't pay yet) is to find someone else if it is not too late you think - I think the individual lawyers with small private practice will have more time than a huge firm that everyone goes to.
                    "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
                    http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
                    1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Go to the office with a good book, sit down and relax after you tell the secretary you are waiting to see the attorney to find out why your case is not filed yet. Even if there is a reason, he should have told you by now.

Stay calm and do not let the lawyer intimidate you by his being too busy or too important to talk to you! You are absolutely right and should demand an answer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X