top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I try to open another checking acct before discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I try to open another checking acct before discharge?

Hi :-) I just filed my chapter 7 bankruptcy paperwork on 03/31/09. Should I try to open another checking/saving acct before my discharge or wait until after? I never really put much thought into this and I was wondering what the best way to go is.

Thanks, :-)

If you do seek to make one be sure it is not at a bank you have debt at, but yes you can go ahead and open a new account if you need to.

Do you suspect your old accounts will become inaccessible?
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
      If you do seek to make one be sure it is not at a bank you have debt at, but yes you can go ahead and open a new account if you need to.

Do you suspect your old accounts will become inaccessible?
      I do JRScott... my checking acct is linked to a credit card that I am severely in the negative with. I am just waiting for them to close my acct. I am with Wells Fargo, they are pretty tough I have heard.

Comment

Yep you should go ahead and get a new account then. Probably should of done it before filing but oh well. If you have any money in the Wells Fargo account then I'd withdraw it today if you still can.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
          Yep you should go ahead and get a new account then. Probably should of done it before filing but oh well. If you have any money in the Wells Fargo account then I'd withdraw it today if you still can.
          It's negative so no worries there. So do most banks do a credit check to open an account?

Comment

On a related issue, . .

If I have one credit card with a zero balance and have a
            checking account with that same bank,
            will that credit card still be in "good standings" and usable after a bankruptcy?

Comment

Originally posted by KenInNY View Post
              On a related issue, . .

If I have one credit card with a zero balance and have a
              checking account with that same bank,
              will that credit card still be in "good standings" and usable after a bankruptcy?
              Most likely not. Also, open a checking and savings at a bank that you do not currently have any debt that is included in the BK.
              Filed C7: 12/16/08; 341 Meeting: 1/22/09
              Last Day for Objections: 3/23/09 (No Objections)
              Discharged: 4/3/09
              Closed: 3/23/10

Comment

If your cc was paid off over 90 days ago and is zero now. I would check with attorney, you may not have to list it. I had checking account with CU where I owed credit line of 3800. As soon as I filed , they got notice and stopped my debit card. They tried to trick me into reaffirming the debt. they took money out of my checking to cover the
                payment for the creditline, claiming cross collection of accounts. I had opened a second account with A bank just in case it was a problem, I was glad I did. I did remove all funds from CU. They said they would not close my checking after discharge but in order to keep debit card working I would have to reaffirm debt. Do not trust them anymore. SO I use my new account.
                chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

If the balance of a card is 0 then you owe nothing and do not have to list it.

If however you did pay 600 dollars or more to them in the 90 days prior to listing in order to get 0 balance then you have to list that amount in a separate area and to cover yourself you better list the card.

It is highly unusual even for a card with a 0 balance to survive bankruptcy, so don't count on having such a card after it. Even if you don't list it they will most likely close the account. However since its a 0 balance account they will not penalize your checking/savings with them.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X