top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discharged people please help me answer.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged people please help me answer.....

hi,
    just wondering if after filing and being discharged if life really was alot harder like everyone says. i mean, i am just questioning it since i just got a cell phone in my name with a 400 credit score and only a 400.00 deposit that is refundable. i mean, i thought i wouldn't have a chance in hell and i was approved immediately. so...i am starting to feel better about filing but i know there will be roadblocks. i guess what i am asking is, was it hard getting an apartment? house? if it is just a matter of having to place a deposit or higher security when renting, that to me, is good. i am more afraid of not being able to get jobs, being outright denied for any loans/cc etc. i don't mind paying a deposit, higher apr etc, so i am just curious to know how everyone is doing post bk. any stories would be appreciated! thanks.

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
    hi,
    just wondering if after filing and being discharged if life really was alot harder like everyone says. i mean, i am just questioning it since i just got a cell phone in my name with a 400 credit score and only a 400.00 deposit that is refundable. i mean, i thought i wouldn't have a chance in hell and i was approved immediately. so...i am starting to feel better about filing but i know there will be roadblocks. i guess what i am asking is, was it hard getting an apartment? house? if it is just a matter of having to place a deposit or higher security when renting, that to me, is good. i am more afraid of not being able to get jobs, being outright denied for any loans/cc etc. i don't mind paying a deposit, higher apr etc, so i am just curious to know how everyone is doing post bk. any stories would be appreciated! thanks.

I do mind paying a "higher apr" which is why I pay no apr on anything. You cannot name anything there is worth paying a high apr after going through bankruptcy.

In time you will get your deposit back for a cell phone once you prove yourself reliable.

Doing better after discharge because I changed my ways.
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
      hi,
      Even though I have not filed, I will say that I have read quite a bit on here about renting an apartment after bankruptcy is possible. A lot of posters have mentioned that if you rent, try finding a private person who is renting an apartment / room / house and not go through a management company.

When my ex-wife and I divorced back in early 2002, we filed in 2001 and I had no problem finding an apartment through private parties. I looked in the paper and saw around 5 apartments and none of them even questioned my bankruptcy. They did want 1st, last and a security deposit, but that was it. When I looked at apartments that were being offered through management companies, I was denied each time because of my bankruptcy.

Car loans, there are a lot of places (at least where I live) that offer financing to people with bad credit or a discharged bankruptcy, but the interest rate is high. I was able to buy a Brand New car back in 2004 with a pretty good interest rate and no money down.

If you do a lot of reading on this forum, you will see that there is life after bankruptcy.

I will be filing next month and things will be tough, but in a way easier, because I won't be spending most of my income on debt and I will be able to save money each month. I have one car paid for and bought a mini-van in February that I am going to reaffirm.
      Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
      341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
      Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
      Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Hi banca,
        thanks for your response. i meant that if a higher apr was going to be the worst to come after filing, i don't mind. some credit is better than no credit (especially when you need it to rebuild) and higher apr is just something i have to accept since there are consequences to filing. do you have any credit cards that survived bk? did you open any after? you said you pay no apr which either means no credit or a great deal. i am interested!

Comment

Willin,
          you said you filed in 2001 and you are fiing again? i thought people can't file BK for 10 years? am i wrong? or is that how long it is on your record for? thanks

Comment

My husband and I rented through a property management place, didn't help that it was a family friend, but she had to show to her boss that we had decent jobs and good references before they could rent to us. We were kind of a test case for them, they said they knew more people were going to be in our situation and didn't want to count them out for a rental just because they had a BK and foreclosure. Said a job and references were the key thing.

Comment

As a landlord, I can tell you that I like people that have bk and been discharged. I know that you can't bk again for a number of years, so that is not a problem for me. Bad things happen to good people, so hold your head up and get on with life.

Provided you have the income and job stability, you should be able to get most any kind of rental property you want. You will just need to stay away from the corporate agencies that only look at credit score. Most smaller rental people and companies will still rent to you.

Job stability - ability to pay - rental references - that's what it takes for most!

Good luck!
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

When I was looking I had no problem except for one. He wanted 3 months deposit. He was the only one that had apartments that look like they were very poorly maintained.
                I ended up buying a house on a land sale contract.
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X