top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do whatever I want with my finances now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do whatever I want with my finances now?

Hello all, I filed for Chpt. 7 BK last month and have my 341 in a couple of weeks. After my 341, can I do whatever I want with my money? Can I sell some things on eBay or Craigslist without having to worry about any of the trustees, and spend the money however I please? Or do I have to wait until I'm discharged?
    Filed C7: 03/09/09
    341: 04/30/09
    Discharged 6/30/09!!!

Wait until you are discharged.

What are you planning to sell on ebay or craigslist? Is it something that you would make a good chunk of change off of that could have been used to pay more to your creditors before you are discharged? If so, do not do it.

My lawyer said not to sell any assets or give anyone any gifts (meaning of cash or things that are worth something) or have your income increase while you are still in the bankruptcy process. I haven't had my 341 yet.

So, if I were you I would wait. You don't want to spend all this time and frutstration doing this only to have your case dismissed because you made $500 dollars off something you sold on Ebay and pocketed the cash that your creditors would want to pay off more of your balances you owe to them.

Be very cautious.

It does suck. I can't even get a job right now. I have to be careful my income doesn't increase during the process. Even a "cash under the table" job would technically considered fraud if I hide it from the creditors.

As for after your case is officially discharged and closed, I am not sure. I have been wondering about this myself. I would assume that you should be able to go back to living a "normal" life after the whole thing is done.
    Esp if you need to sell something for money to buy essentials like food.
    "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
    http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
    1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

I was told that everything after the date of filing, in relation to my exemptions, cash on hand and my general use of it, was a non issue for my bankruptcy case. FWIW.

Comment

I filed Ch 7 in December, was discharged on 4/7.

During that time I sold a golf cart for $3500, the window A/C out of my garage for $160, a set of tires for $250, the speakers out of my boat for $250, and a number of other things.

No one ever said a thing. How will they know if you don't tell them?!?

Comment

Your financial decisions are yours alone after you file. Just make sure the trustee is aware of any inheritances, pay increases etc if that does in fact happen after you file.
          From this day on I move FORWARD!!!
          Filed Chapter 7 on 3/20/09!
          Discharged 6/2009

Comment

Originally posted by CCCrazy View Post
            Hello all, I filed for Chpt. 7 BK last month and have my 341 in a couple of weeks. After my 341, can I do whatever I want with my money? Can I sell some things on eBay or Craigslist without having to worry about any of the trustees, and spend the money however I please? Or do I have to wait until I'm discharged?
            Yes, you can, no need to wait until discharge.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X