Can someone sue after bk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone sue after bk

One of my creditors said I slandered them on a public forum. I didn't, I am not stupid! Anyways, he emailed me a very threatening email saying he sent it to his lawyer and that can pretty much over rule my bk and I would owe him the money. We are scheduled to be discharged next week. So should I be worried or is he just trying to scare me? I just get stressed out easily. I should have sued him a while ago but decided not to. I bought something from him for my business that we had to put more money into because it was a pos. He would not return calls and I have people to back me up that I don't even personally know that I have talked to regarding all of the problems that I had. He is partially the reason we had to file in the first place. So again, anything to worry about or since he didn't motion to lift stay it will be discharged in a week?

Hummm, anyone can sue anyone for anything at anytime.

Having said that - he would have to have a case with merit in order to win. Sounds like he is trying to scare you - how in the world can he override the BK???

You might want to check with your attorney - but he probably is just trying to get your goat.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

He would have to go through the proper BK procedure to object to your discharge. File an AP in BK court timely ( before the 60 day time bar) and then a judge would have to rule. If he did this, it would only affect that specific debt, not your other debt.

Slander is not a reason to determine a debt non dischargable.

I suppose if he waited until you were discharged and then filed a civil suit, he might be able to get it in front of a judge, but he would probably have a hell of a time trying to prove slander in a forum and it would most likely cost a lot of money, including trying to get the forum provider to release records ( which they don't like to do cause of First Ammendment issues/protection), subpeonas, etc. Sounds like a disgruntled creditor just pissed off.

Comment

Oh dingdong you are so much more eloquent than I am!
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Aaaah, Startingover,

You are making me blush!

Thanks for that!

DD

Comment

Plus, he can't sue you for Slander ( spoken), he would have to sue you for Libel (written)/Defamation, so the guy ( creditor) obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.

Comment

Thanks for making me feel better! I didn't think I had anything to worry about. He would owe me far more then I would owe him anyhow!!

Comment

Out of curiosity, how could he know it was "you" saying such, and themselves being "themselves" if it was a "public forum" such as this BKForum?

I'm sort of hoping creditors do not overly try to use this forum to try to figure out who is who!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X