Florida Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida Exemptions

Is anybody here familiar with Florida Exemptions? Most of the threads I've been reading seem to think that when you don't use your homestead exemption your personal exemption rises $3000 from $1000 to $4000 + $1000 for the vehicle which equals $5000 total. My attorney told me today that the wildcard is $4000 which is added to the personal exemption of $1000 and the vehicle exemption of $1000 for a total of $6000 not $5000. I'm confused now because what he is saying makes total sense.

That's the $64,000 question.

Right now, it is how the law is interpreted and how far an attorney can push the envelope.

Mine pushed it.

Comment

From what I understand, IF, I understand... If you are married filing jointly, you get 2K for a car, 2K for personal and 8K to apply to anything you want (including the car or tax return ect..)

I'm still not sure if I qualify for the wildcard because every atty says something different and people on here who just went through bk tell me I qualify.. I just don't want to get comfy then see the trustee say "nope!"

Comment

I'm single in Manatee county and was told my exemption would be $4000. My car has no equity. Even in bankruptcy I still will not move back up North!

Comment

I was told 4000.00 in Polk county. If I do not take homestead .
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Will not be using the homestead exemption. So...will I be able to double the $4000.00 wildcard since we are filing jointly? Or can you only use it once?

Comment

Its $4000 statutory personal property exemption +$1000 Fl. constitition personal property exemption +$1000 automobile exemption = $6000 total.

All doubled if filed jointly with spouse.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bshinyandnew View Post
                Its $4000 statutory personal property exemption +$1000 Fl. constitition personal property exemption +$1000 automobile exemption = $6000 total.

http://www.bankruptcyorlando.com/200...reting-fl.html
                Actually, the information in the above link is dated/old . While the exemption amounts are accurate, there are a few things mentioned that have been since further litigated as far as application of the exemptions for folks who have an underwater homestead.

Comment

I moved from FL, March 2009 and currently live in Alabama. We live in a 5th wheel and have for 3 years. However, our 2004 truck is almost paid for ($1500.00 left). When I went to the Kelly blue book, it is valued, trade in, good condition at $15,275, We also have a 1987 boat that we paid $600 and 1996 30 ft car hauler, we paid $4000.00 for in 2006, the floor has rotten out and I am thinking it will be estimated at around $1000.00. We have a few tools, patio furniture, clothes, household goods (sheets, towels and etc., since we live in a 5th wheel, all furniture was furnished.
                  So... just trying to get as much in exemptions as I can to keep all three (truck, boat & trailer). We live on retirement and Social Security, but have very few monthly living expenses. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bshinyandnew View Post

http://www.bankruptcyorlando.com/200...reting-fl.html
                    We filed in April and rent a home so no homestead.Our attorney goes by exactly what you have posted.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X