Do creditors look up your maiden name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do creditors look up your maiden name?

My mom called and left a message saying that someone called for "Me Maiden name" (been married for 11yrs now) and that something was going to court and it was something financial. She said that the lady had no idea where I was living now.

Does this sound like typical creditor tactics? Oh and my mom is in NC and I am in WI. I used to live in that house.

I don't have any debts btw from when I lived there or from that maiden name. All our debts are from the last 2yrs.

The creditors skip trace and all of your connections come up - including your family name (maiden name), neighbors etc.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Thanks! So I basically should just ignore that call just like I do the rest of the ones I get? She is resending me the number later because I deleted it. Isn't it like not legal for them to mention stuff like bringing me to court for financial reasons to other people????

Comment

They are not suppose to talk to 3rd parties at all except to determine location information - is X there? That's it.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

well that pisses me off then. i told her not to bother sending me the number since I won't be calling them but now I'm wondering if I should have it since they are going all illegal. :P

Comment

they get a copy of your credit report. You will be amazed what info is on your credit report. past addresses, names(aliases), assets, liabilities, cosigners...... You might want to get a full report to see whats on it so you will be prepared. As a mortgage broker I must have looked at thousands of credit reports. I learned a long time ago whenever taking out a loan and they ask for 3 references, you never give them real names or numbers. Those are only for finding someone after the fact. They never call them ahead of time.

Comment

So are you saying that my ex could be getting calls about me, wonderful?!
              Filed 5/11/09 Chapter 7
              341 Meeting 6/5/09
              Discharged 8/5/09
              Case Closed 8/6/09

Comment

But would that stuff be on my credit report if it's been over 7yrs? I have my credit report... gonna dig it up...

Comment

Originally posted by jb300 View Post
                  So are you saying that my ex could be getting calls about me, wonderful?!
                  Yep - I get calls every so often about my ex's debts and we have divorced since 2000. LOL - I give them his current number.

It's the least I can do......wink wink
                  Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                  341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                  Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

I got out of an abusive relationship I really want no contact with him or him being contacted about me. Like I said before "Wonderful".
                    Filed 5/11/09 Chapter 7
                    341 Meeting 6/5/09
                    Discharged 8/5/09
                    Case Closed 8/6/09

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
                      I learned a long time ago whenever taking out a loan and they ask for 3 references, you never give them real names or numbers. Those are only for finding someone after the fact. They never call them ahead of time.
                      Oh crap! I am sitting here trying to think of who I put down on my credit applications?!? Never thought of that! That's probably why applications always ask for the closest relative NOT living with you! Yikes!
                      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I have gotten notices from Wells Fargo a couple times for my mom (she owes everyone in the universe money).

It said it might have something to offer her or some such, and asked me to contact them with her contact information.

Fishy.
                        Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                        341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

I had a creditor call my brother inlaw, they did a random search using hubbys name. We have last name and state in common. They talked to my sil like it was her debt, tellling her exactly how much we owed them! NICE!

Comment

This sort of crap is what congress should be protecting us from. There should be a nice fine of $5K or $10K per such incident. Otherwise if your going to allow them to get away with that, might as well permit them to break our knee caps and torture us (mob style). These lobbying bastards get into the politicians heads that they are doing no wrong.

The only time they should be allowed to call an immediate family member is if they have tried contacting you and your numbers are disconnected. Even then, they should only ask for your current number or address.
                            My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                            posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X