top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is it taking now to actually get papers filed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is it taking now to actually get papers filed?

My attorney says it will take about a month for them to process my paperwork. That's a lot of phone calls on received on my end from creditors, and the process servers are at the door, the judgements are lining up at my employers...My question is, is this the normal time nowadays from the point he receives my money until he actually has a case number put on it?

All they got to do is put it in their computer and file it and get case number. WOw, I had
    mine within a week. That is too darn long.
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Seems to long to me. My attorney said he could do it within a week. With a wait like that it makes me think that the attorney has way to many cases . That would make me nervous about getting the service you are paying for. Is he going to be one of these lawyers that is great at first and then a nightmare to get in touch with when you have questions. Maybe I am wrong and you are just in an area that is inundated with bk's and all the lawyers are backed up, although I am in a high bk area in South Florida and the attorneys here are moving much more quickly than that.
      Best of luck
      Southern District of Florida
      Filed Ch 7 - 8/6/09 341 - 9/14/09
      Report of No Distribution - 9/18/09
      DISCHARGE ! 11/23/09 Closed 12/8/09

Comment

I had a consultation with 2 attorneys last week and the one that was a BK Mill-type firm told me the same thing...it will take about a month to file...the next one told me she could have it filed in a week. It all depends on your attorney. I made a list of questions to ask the attorney(s) so I wouldn't forget and that was one of them. With judgements, I'm surprised your attorney isn't moving foward faster...
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Yes, that is way too long to file your paper work. My attorney filed our paper work and had a case number BEFORE we left his office. You might want to go see another attorney before incurring any attorney fees.

Good luck!
          Filed Chp 7 bankruptcy 1/12/09: it starts!
          341 meeting 2/9/09: No objections
          Member of the 60 day club! Almost there!
          Discharge just came in today!!!!! 5/5/09

Comment

I don't think a month is too long, but it depends.

February through May is the busiest time for BK attorneys. (everyone comes in with their tax refunds and pays for their BK). It depends on the system of the attorney and the complexity of cases they handle. Any attorney that is going to actually spend time analyzing your case will need a little time. Even firms that only file 20-30 cases a month, have 60-90 cases in the pipeline (BK Mills that file 100 cases a month, have 300 cases in the pipeline).

Comment

Oh I see a mixed bag here. Well I guess I'll wait it out. This firm does mostly bankruptcy, but does do other things as well. I did call today and got assigned a paralegal to talk with. She said they will review the paperwork, then I will have the appt with attorney for long sitdown signing of papers. Meanwhile the wolves are at the door..., Sincerely, Little Miss Riding Hood

Comment

Originally posted by halelani View Post
                Oh I see a mixed bag here. Well I guess I'll wait it out. This firm does mostly bankruptcy, but does do other things as well. I did call today and got assigned a paralegal to talk with. She said they will review the paperwork, then I will have the appt with attorney for long sitdown signing of papers. Meanwhile the wolves are at the door..., Sincerely, Little Miss Riding Hood

Mine went something like this. On the day we met with the atty and got our packet, he gave us the packet along with a list of other things to bring back when we met again....things like our taxes, pay stubs, counseling certificates, house deed, etc. We set our appt up and returned with the competed packet and the list of other items. He sat down and reviewed the packet line by line with us. When we were done there, he told us he was having his paralegal draw up the papers right away and we could leave and return in a while to sign them. We did that and they were filed that day. From the time we met with him the first time to the time we returned with the packet and got the BK case filed, it was only 2 weeks.
                filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
                341 meeting 6/4/09
                DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X