top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

filed today worried BF's income will throw me in a 13....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filed today worried BF's income will throw me in a 13....

well i just filed today and i had to tell them my BF recently got a job, and with both our incomes it puts us right at the median, right now i filed under chapter 7 with the note that my BF does have a job but we split all our expenses equally. My lawyer didnt seem too concerned the trustees would object to it and my 7 will go thru fine, but im still nervous. I made the point that with my income my expenses exceed my income so how would they even put me in a 13? He said the worst that can happen is if they do have a problem with it he will have to go thru the process to fight it and get me approved for a 7....i really hope no problems arise. I think its ridiculous they go by household income. Im not even married or engaged, and we split all our bills down the line. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
    09/04/09-discharged!!!

anyone? thoughts or advice please
    retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
    09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

i am in the same boat as you bk4sky except he pays 100% of the expenses except for food every now and then and i have no idea how to list expenses (since i have basically none), do i need to show his workstubs (i dont work) his taxes etc. it is a very frustrating situation to be in and that is really ridiculous that they make it so hard. i am thinking about moving in with someone else who is equally as poor as me when i file because there would be zero income then. i dont know if that is allowed though. argh!

Comment

ok, I'm a newbie here too so if I am wrong I hope someone will correct me....My understanding is that unless you are married, he would be considered a 'roommate' and you only have to include the amount of money he gives you for expenses, etc. You do not have to list his income.

It's ironic that I am having the opposite problem in that I am trying to include my husband's income (to get the additional deductions) but not sure if it will go through as we are a same sex couple and bankruptcy is a little weird as it is a federal program that does use some state bankruptcy rules.

Good luck!
        Filed 5/12/09
        341 6/11/09
        discharged 8/11/09
        Closed 8/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by SocalBroke View Post
          ok, I'm a newbie here too so if I am wrong I hope someone will correct me....My understanding is that unless you are married, he would be considered a 'roommate' and you only have to include the amount of money he gives you for expenses, etc. You do not have to list his income.

It's ironic that I am having the opposite problem in that I am trying to include my husband's income (to get the additional deductions) but not sure if it will go through as we are a same sex couple and bankruptcy is a little weird as it is a federal program that does use some state bankruptcy rules.

Good luck!
          uggghhh yeah its quite ridiculous. My lawyer said that they only might say something to challenge because they can think we are putting our money together and maybe i really do have some money left over, but i did as i was supposed to do, he told me to fill out only MY expenses on the sheet not too include BF's which is what i did, yes me and him split the bills but with me listing just my half im still in the whole, my lawyer said if they challenge it he will fight it, he didn't seem too concerned but its going to bother me a little.

ill def post my outcome whenever that may be, and good luck to you. Same sex couples are becoming recognized more and more, so i hope everything works out for you, have you consulted with a lawyer yet?
          10/30/10- WEDDING!!
          09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

I live with my boyfriend, and I only listed "my" share of the rent, groceries, utilities, etc. His income was not listed, nor was his contribution towards these items. Just mine.
            Chapter 7 Filed: 12/22/08
            341 Meeting: 1/22/09
            Discharged and Closed: 3/24/09

Comment

Originally posted by freshstartfl View Post
              I live with my boyfriend, and I only listed "my" share of the rent, groceries, utilities, etc. His income was not listed, nor was his contribution towards these items. Just mine.
              yeah i only listed my share of the expenses but they still asked about his income, my lawyer is supposed to be working for me, why were they so concerned with his income...it seems a bit odd.
              10/30/10- WEDDING!!
              09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

been there done that don't worry.
                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Banca....do you happen to know what i do since i have no job and my bf pays for esentially everything but my food? as far as income/expenses? do i zero out all my expenses? put his income? i just do not know what to put down because it wont necessarily match and he is not fiing at all. any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                    been there done that don't worry.
                    yeah fo real! im going to tell my lawyer what if he breaks up with my ass?!

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
                    Banca....do you happen to know what i do since i have no job and my bf pays for esentially everything but my food? as far as income/expenses? do i zero out all my expenses? put his income? i just do not know what to put down because it wont necessarily match and he is not fiing at all. any help would be appreciated!
                    the way my lawyer told me was to just put down MY part of the expenses, not the half my BF pays, and thats what i did. So im assuming you would 0 out everything except for your food, but then again talk to your lawyer. are you on umemployment? is your BF over the median income? just talk to your lawyer, your situation is a lil diff than mine, but my lawyer was pretty confident i have nothing to worry about.
                    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                    09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

he makes 38k a year right now. that is sooo stupid that they take other peoples income into account when they have no legal obligation to the debt. they cant force someone to pay someone elses debt so why in the hell do they do this? so damn frustrating!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X