criminal charges for not paying a cc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

criminal charges for not paying a cc?

I have heard it all, a friend of mine had a navy federal credit card, he never made a payment on it, but that is because his finances changed shortly after charging up the card, he tried to work with the collectors and they wouldnt budge, finally they said they (this is still the OC), were going to recommend fraud charges to their attorney because it is a crime in Maryland to open a credit card and never pay it back.

AFAIK, it is not a crime to not pay back a credit card, am I wrong?

Fraud is a crime. If they can prove it or not is another story.

Comment

I know fraud is a crime, but I did a search on PACER and on local courts, I have never seen a case where a creditor has pressed charges against an individual for not paying back a debt. Anyways, he filed bankruptcy the other day anyways, the phone call he got from them was in the middle of the filing, before the courts got it. He returned their call, and they said "well it's in the courts hands now that you filed BK", indicating they would possibly file an AP...even though the debt is almost a year old. It was all balance transfers on his card to other creditors. So I don't know how it's "fraud", he just lost alot of income when the bills came due.

Comment

and I just looked on PACER going a year back, NFCU has never tried an AP against a debtor for any reason other than secured debt...in fact there have been NUMEROUS AP's filed against NFCU for the reason I first stated above...harassment, abuse etc....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X