Credit Counseling Classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Counseling Classes?

Just wondering about the credit counseling class that is supposed to be taken before filing chapter 7. I have heard you can take those online. How do you get the certificate? Do they mail it to you via the post office? If so, how long does it take them to get it to you? We want to file ASAP but need to get the cert. first. I also heard we are supposed to take two classes. ????????

list of approved places that can do the pre-filing certificate. Many of them offer a totally online function, others do it via phone and then email you. Some snail mail. Just have to look.

I personally used incharge for both the before you file and the after your 341 meeting class. http://www.personalfinanceeducation.com/Buy.aspx?pId=14

Got the email with the cert I needed within 24 hours.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

I had my certificate emailed to me within an hour after verifying my information and talking briefly to a counceler over the phone. She asked me if I wanted it mailed to my attorney or emailed to me. I went with the email route because I did not know my attorney's address off the top of my head.
      Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
      341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
      Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
      Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

We also used Incharge http://www.personalfinanceeducation.com/Buy.aspx?pId=14
        Once you finish the first course you telephone them. The certificate is emailed to you within 24 hours. It's quick and painless.

The second course you are talking about can only be done once you have filed your bk. You need to be able to enter your bk case number at the start. Then you can take the course (took about two hours) and get the second certificate. We finished both courses and the certificates have already been filed by our atty with the bk court.
        Ch 7 filed: 3/30
        341: 5/12
        Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

Pre-BK I used CCCS of atlanta, it seems to be approved everywhere, I'm in TX.

Best part was you don't have to CALL anybody, it is all online, but you do have to interact with a person on the chat from time to time. It was SIMPLE and took less than an hour. Got the cert by email the next day. Cost was $50 for single filer or joint filers.

Good luck!
          7-2-2009 Filed
          8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
          10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

We also used CCCS of Atlanta. It was very easy and the certificate came right to my email box.
            I'm confused though do we have to take another? If so when? The one we took has our BK case # listed on it but it was taken about the same time we filed.

Do we need another course? My lawyer said no but it looks like most people take 2 different courses right?
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Yes, you take the pre-filing course before filing and a post-filing course after you file and due before you're discharged.

I would like to suggest that people shop around before taking a course. Prices vary and not every company charges the same. Had I known how inexpensive it could be to take the course, I'd have shopped around rather than paid $50 for a pre-filing course that could have cost me as little as $19.95 elsewhere.
              sigpic
              Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
              Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
              Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X