Paying Lawyer Fee up front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Lawyer Fee up front

Just a quick question. I have received my documents to file Chapter 7. The lawyer wants the filing fee and his fee to be paid up front. Is this normal? They are a pretty big firm in Michigan but how do I know that I can trust them to get this completed? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

paying up front is standard procedure because once you file, their debt could be dishcarged also. For our chapter 7 in Michigan we paid 1500 (complicated case) but many do a chapter 7 for around 800.00

Comment

Originally posted by michunemployed
      Just a quick question. I have received my documents to file Chapter 7. The lawyer wants the filing fee and his fee to be paid up front. Is this normal? They are a pretty big firm in Michigan but how do I know that I can trust them to get this completed? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
      Hi,

Most just want thier fee paid up front, and the filing fee prior to filing.

Good Luck!
      The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

rrockinggramma and Todd are right. You have to pay the fee up front. My initial upfront fee was $950.00 plus $200.00 filing. Additional complications brought the total to just below $2000.00. I thought before it was 2300.00 but I was mistaken as to the final tally.
        "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

[the mere fact that they are lawyers is how you can trust them they are licensed etc. The are liable for you. What made you consult a lawyer vs just a doc prep company? Just wondering.

Comment

We paid $709 up front to file a Chapter 7.....looks like we made out pretty good compared to what others have paid.
            Baltimore, MD.
            Filed Chapter 7 w/husband on 01/08/05

Comment

Originally posted by moneywoes
              We paid $709 up front to file a Chapter 7.....looks like we made out pretty good compared to what others have paid.
              Indeed! Lawyers that run a mill can typically charge less.

-Todd
              The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

We filed in Bay City, MI and had to pay $500 up front, which included the filing fee, out of a ~$1000 total. The rest is divided up into payments.
                Edyta...
                Discharged April 2005

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X