Opened new Checking Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opened new Checking Account

Yesterday, I went a head and opened a new checking account with a new bank. I am still waiting on my new debit card, which should be here in a week or so.

I want to go a head and close my checking account with the bank I have had since 2002, but I am going to wait a few days until a transaction I made today clears.

Question:

My lawyer wants 3 months of bank statements. Since I plan on closing my main checking account, I take it I still give my attorney the last 3 months of statements from the account I am closing, along with a statement from the bank with the amount in the account at closing and then include a statement from my new checking account with my new bank up until the day I plan on filing.

Is this correct?
    Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
    341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
    Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
    Discharged - 10/06/2009

Originally posted by WillinVT View Post
    Yesterday, I went a head and opened a new checking account with a new bank. I am still waiting on my new debit card, which should be here in a week or so.

I want to go a head and close my checking account with the bank I have had since 2002, but I am going to wait a few days until a transaction I made today clears.

Question:

My lawyer wants 3 months of bank statements. Since I plan on closing my main checking account, I take it I still give my attorney the last 3 months of statements from the account I am closing, along with a statement from the bank with the amount in the account at closing and then include a statement from my new checking account with my new bank up until the day I plan on filing.

Is this correct?
    Smart move........my old account is still open, and just went -2.31 due to charges for bill pay service fee, which i did not use for at least 6 weeks.
    I think you should include all statements that your lawyer askes for new/old depending on when you file. since i'm waiting at least 6 months to file i plan on just providing statements from just my new account. But just in case, I downloaded 5 years of old statements to my hard drive.
    Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

It sounds correct to me.
      Scared to file. Scared not to file.

Comment

Congrats on taking that step.

You will definitely need documentation from both accounts. Once you close your old acct they may cut off access, so if you need to save statements you might want to do it now.

We didn't do that and BoA took away our access to online statements the same day we closed the account.
        Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
        341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

Originally posted by BkinTX View Post
          Congrats on taking that step.

You will definitely need documentation from both accounts. Once you close your old acct they may cut off access, so if you need to save statements you might want to do it now.

We didn't do that and BoA took away our access to online statements the same day we closed the account.
          I will probably go into my online account and start saving my statements on my hard drive. I have all my statements printed from now all the way back to October, but it wouldn't hurt to have more.

I might just keep $25.00 in the account as well and close it later on down the road. Not sure at this point.

I am happy though to have a new checking account with a new bank. I just signed up for direct deposit tonight when I got to work. That will be nice to have my money in my account on paydays again.

Plus, the bank I went to is giving me a Free Garmen GPS unit as soon as I make 2 direct deposits of $100.00 or more and make 1 debit card transaction.

I already have a Tom/Tom GPS and I love it, even though I hardly use it. But it will be cool to have 2 of them. One for each vehicle
          Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

I was glad I opened new acct regular bank,before filing. TO be safe I kept very little money in my accounts upon filing. I had cash on hand, instead of in the bank. My attorney recommended it. My Cu pulled by debit card as soon as I got late on CL . But left my Cu accounts open. I hope the bank is not one that freezes accts. Good luck.
            chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Will
              I decided to keep the BoA account open, just in case I need to provide more statments. I guess this can be an issue if you get audited. I have $9 in the account and will close it after this is over.

Comment

I still have my same checking account and I was just filed a few weeks ago. I actually had quite a bit of money in there (3K - well, it isn't 3K anymore). It is a Chase account and I am BKing two chase cc's. My Chase cc's are now closed (they are gone from my online profile) and my checking account in safe and sound and it is still open and they haven't touched it.

I am in the process of taking money out of the Chase account and I will be opening up a credit union account. I need to get new drivers license and such yet but so far, my money has been OK so I am not too worried but I plan on still keeping the Chase account open with very little money in it (they charge me 6 bucks a month because I have no direct deposit) until at least after my 341.

I am wondering if it will look weird that my amount when I filed was like 3K and it will be like $25 when I have my 341 - will they be looking at that?

WillinVT, do you mind if I ask what bank you chose?

I decided to go with a local credit union because I heard that credit unions are not as picky about people who are BK as some big banks can be and I didn't want the teeny local bank (my bf had lots of trouble with them) and I think the only big bank left I can use that is near me is US Bank. Not sure if I want to go to a big bank right now.
                "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
                http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
                1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Originally posted by queenfluff View Post

WillinVT, do you mind if I ask what bank you chose?

I decided to go with a local credit union because I heard that credit unions are not as picky about people who are BK as some big banks can be and I didn't want the teeny local bank (my bf had lots of trouble with them) and I think the only big bank left I can use that is near me is US Bank. Not sure if I want to go to a big bank right now.
                  Queenfluff, both banks I have are local banks here in Vermont. The bank I have been with since 2002 is called Merchants Bank. I think they are only in Vermont. I like them as a bank and never had problems with them. I do not have any loans with them, so I don't have to add them as a creditor. As I have stated before, my only concern is that one of my creditors will come in and take money out of my account without my consent.

I know they aren't suppose to do this, but they do what they want to do.

Out of 5 creditors I owe money to, I always paid them in the past using this checking account.

The new bank I chose is Keybank. I am thinking they are a New England bank, but I could be wrong.

I wanted to open an account with our local credit union that my employer uses, but sadly, I am unable to do so thanks to my ex-wife. When we were married in 2002, she defaulted on a loan that my name was attached to and now I am banned from there for life. I tried opening an account with them last year and they told me because of the default, I am not welcome
                  Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X